Mk1 Ownership

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Ld97

Mk1 Ownership

Post by Ld97 »

Hi,

I am looking into owning a MK1 out of a number of different cars. Im looking for some general tips and guidance on what to look out for, what i should be wary of etc.

I also want to know if the MK1 has power steering. I have never owned an older car like this, and i could not find this out online. (Not sure where to look to be honest). Also, what is it like to live with (concerning the power steering)?

Thanks!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Mk1 Ownership

Post by jimi »

There's no power steering on a MK1, It's a little heavy when parking, on the move it's fine. There's a link to a very good buyers guide here https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk1 ... &kbartid=1
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

nick

Post by nick »

Steering is pretty light, I think power was an option in the States, but not here. Having had two i would say the state of the body/rust is everything on these cars. Mechanically they are pretty tough.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

nick wrote: 02/12/19 10:03 I think power was an option in the States, but not here.
Power steering was never an option anywhere on a MK1 ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by angpozzuto »

My MK1 is the only car I've driven that doesn't have power steering and tbh I don't miss it, even parking isn't that bad just keep the car rolling slightly while turning the steering wheel.

Rust is a much bigger issue with these cars
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

Rich135

Post by Rich135 »

As said, rust rust rust. Would you be using it every, come rain or shine (or frost!)? I don't think many cars in the UK have aircon so things like de-misting the windscreen take longer than on a modern car, but I guess it depends what you are driving at the moment.

It still feel pretty modern to drive though, so easily a daily car.

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

As above, look out for rust. the engines are generally pretty bulletproof unless they have been abused.
I daily mine and love it the lack of power steering isnt an issue you just learn not to try turning the wheel when not moving.
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK1”