Driveshaft bolts / tulip flange

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Sonac
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Driveshaft bolts / tulip flange

Post by Sonac »

About 4 months ago I saw grease slinging all over the place under my car (rev2 tubby). Upon further inspection the bolts that hold the driveshaft together (There are 6) had come loose and vanished.

Long story short my driveshaft was being held on by 3 remaining bolts there were hand tight :shocked: .

I cleaned everything up and dipped the remaining 3 in max strength thread locker and sent them in with my torque wrench. I put them in TIGHT. And until now I've totally forgot about it...

Not too worried as so far its survived 4 months of abuse, full throttle pulls and a couple burnouts. But I'd like to put the missing ones back.

I can't seem to find replacements anywhere. They have hex heads. Does anyone know the size of these bolts? Thread pitch + thread size and length? I've scoured forums looking for the sizes but just can't seem to find them.

I think I did research this before and found out I need Grade 12.9 high tensile strength bolts.

EDIT: I ordered M6 and mate bolts in 20,25,30 and 35mm lengths. I hope one of them is correct!

Thanks!

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Driveshaft bolts / tulip flange

Post by TonyleFrog »

I've had exactly the same problem (around 5 years ago).

If 3 bolts out of 6 have gone AWOL, it is quite possible that one of the washers* did so as well.

* These link adjacent bolts together: see the diagrams in the links below.

They are the same for both sides - Scheme 2 (RH) & Scheme 3 (LH).

Part number 90110-10115 BOLT (FOR REAR DRIVE SHAFT CROSS GROOVE JOINT)
https://toyota.epc-data.com/mr2/sw20/15 ... 02/43409A/
Part number 43489-17010 WASHER, REAR DRIVE SHAFT CROSS GROOVE JOINT
https://toyota.epc-data.com/mr2/sw20/15 ... 102/43489/

Obtainable from MrT. I got these prices from my local dealer. Bolt £2.57 Washer £11.03

If you use OEM parts you know for sure they are the right ones.
You've got away with it so far but the design has 6 bolts for a reason.
Personally I would get it sorted ASAP.
A driveshaft failure on full boost could cause you more than just embarrassment.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

TonyleFrog wrote: 14/01/20 18:37 I've had exactly the same problem (around 5 years ago).

If 3 bolts out of 6 have gone AWOL, it is quite possible that one of the washers* did so as well.

* These link adjacent bolts together: see the diagrams in the links below.

They are the same for both sides - Scheme 2 (RH) & Scheme 3 (LH).

Part number 90110-10115 BOLT (FOR REAR DRIVE SHAFT CROSS GROOVE JOINT)
https://toyota.epc-data.com/mr2/sw20/15 ... 02/43409A/
Part number 43489-17010 WASHER, REAR DRIVE SHAFT CROSS GROOVE JOINT
https://toyota.epc-data.com/mr2/sw20/15 ... 102/43489/

Obtainable from MrT. I got these prices from my local dealer. Bolt £2.57 Washer £11.03

If you use OEM parts you know for sure they are the right ones.
You've got away with it so far but the design has 6 bolts for a reason.
Personally I would get it sorted ASAP.
A driveshaft failure on full boost could cause you more than just embarrassment.
I have all 3 washers luckily. For some reason every other bolt came out so I managed to keep them. I have never heard of MrT, where do I go to buy stuff? The bolts I ordered should be here tomorrow so i'll try them anyway. If they fit then hey... a bolts a bolt.

But I do agree. Last thing I want is the drive shaft to come loose while under full boost haha.

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

My apologies. MrT = forum shorthand for Toyota dealership. Give your local one* a call.
If it doesn't have them on the shelf it can order them for you.

* Mine is part of a major franchise chain and ordered parts usually arrive in 48 hours.
  Their parts guy is excellent. I doubt anyone else in the whole place knows that Toyota made a Mk2 turbo! :)

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

TonyleFrog wrote: 15/01/20 5:31 My apologies. MrT = forum shorthand for Toyota dealership. Give your local one* a call.
If it doesn't have them on the shelf it can order them for you.

* Mine is part of a major franchise chain and ordered parts usually arrive in 48 hours.
  Their parts guy is excellent. I doubt anyone else in the whole place knows that Toyota made a Mk2 turbo! :)
Oh okay. That's good to know. I think the bolts I ordered are too short. I'm pretty sure they are 55mm long and I only ordered 40mm long.

I'll visit my nearest dealership this week and ask.

Thanks!

TonyleFrog

Post by TonyleFrog »

You're welcome. :th:

When you do, just quote the part number I posted.
Easier than undergoing a time-wasting exchange with someone who may know SFA about JDM grey imports.
Ask me how I know... ;)

When it happened to me I replaced all the bolts. Coming loose can be the result of previous over tightening as well as under. You can't be 100% sure that it is not due to the former. In my case one of the washers also went AWOL. I used the new one to thoroughly check the other two. Just as well I did as one proved to be unfit for reuse. So I decided to replace both as a precaution. Better to spend ££ up front, rather than risk it being ££££ later on.

Btw, if you've have ever wondered why Toyota used those curved washers rather than individual ones, they are dual purpose. See the BGB on page SA57 (third pic down ref SA2807). :)

Topic author
Sonac

Post by Sonac »

If anyone is interested. Pretty sure they are hex head M10 bolts with a length of 55mm made of 12.9 grade steel. I got them coming now. I'll keep informed if they work!
I purchased from orbital fasteners. About a tenner including postage for 3 of them.

EDIT: Definitely not M10. It's M12 and the length is more like 45-50mm. 55 is too long.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”