St205 charge cooler reliability

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tommy10101

St205 charge cooler reliability

Post by tommy10101 »

Hi all,

I am in the process of modifying my rev3 turbo for track use. It will be 1.2bar with the st205 charge cooler setup. Should be fine for extended stints hopefully.

just wondered if anyone could let me know how reliable their charge cooler setup is and and recommendations to improve reliability. Slightly annoying having to add complexity and failure points going W2A.

I guess the only thing really bad that can happen is the pump fail? If I am monitoring AIT, AFM, oil temp etc would I be ok if it happened?

cheers

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: St205 charge cooler reliability

Post by MR2DI4 »

Shouldn't be a problem. I added a Bosch auxiliary water pump to my stock air cooled IC setup after I fabricated a cooling box round the Number 1 hotpipe for the fun of it and then used the A/C condenser as a "Radiator" to cool it. The pump runs full time whenever the engine is running. Probably should have added an on/off timer to it as its way overkill in terms of cooling. As long as you have a decent pump then no problem. Not as reliable as air-air setups obviously if you have a water leak or the pump fails.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: St205 charge cooler reliability

Post by shinny »

Reliability will mostly depend on the quality of your installation. (Wiring, pipework, mountings etc.) Done well it shouldn't give cause for concern. If you want some automatic protection you could wire up the ST205 ECU, which will bring up a CEL if the ST205 pump stops or the fluid level drops too low, although you will need the correct wiring.

See: https://www.imoc.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=157965

If you don't use the ST205 ECU then connecting a warning to the low fluid level switch wouldn't be too tricky provided you're vaguely capable of electrical work.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”