New owner intro with a SMT question?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
StuUK

New owner intro with a SMT question?

Post by StuUK »

Hi all
I've recently acquired a very cheap(I think) MR2 MK3 here in the UK as a summer fun car.
It's a 2002 pre facelift model with SMT 5 speed and 107k on the clock.
So far so good, the engine pulls like a train the gear shifting seems smooth, there is no excessive smoke or noises from the engine and my oil level hasn't changed noticeably after 250 miles of short runs.
I've already done quite a few little jobs on it like changing oil and filters. I replaced a bad O2 sensor (heater element fault). The PS hydraulic return hose was corroded to the point of leaking which I have replaced and Ive also replaced the lower steering column UJ.
It has a small engine oil leak from the corner of the valve cover which obviously hasnt been addressed for years as there is oil all down that side of the engine (new gasket ordered)

Next job is to check the precats (Which i should have done when replacing the O2 sensor) and check the SMT fluid (which i should have done when I replaced the air filter) lol
My first question is regarding the SMT Hydraulic fluid. I know there is plenty of info on this but I can't find a specific answer to my question.

If I find the SMT fluid level is low can I just add DOT 4 brake fluid to top it up?
Will this mix with the original Toyota SMT fluid ok?
Thanks
Stu

Topdownman
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: New owner intro with a SMT question?

Post by Topdownman »

The chain tensioner is a common culprit for a leak in that area.

I have heard of SMT boxes being ruined by using the wrong fluid so I would be wary of using anything but the right stuff (which is very expensive I believe) hence why people use the wrong thing.

Topic author
StuUK

Post by StuUK »

Im pretty sure the small leak is from the camshaft cover as the oil mess starts above the camchain tensioner.

Yes Iv'e been reading about so called compatible fluid that ends up ruining seals etc. But apparently quite a few people are using DOT4 or a mix of DOT3 and castor oil to replace the very expensive OEM SMT fluid.

So i was hoping somebody with experience of this could confirm if it would do any harm mixing DOT4 with the existing SMT hydraulic fluid?

S1MNN

Post by S1MNN »

Give these guys a call.. they are really helpful:

https://www.toyotek.co.uk/

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”