Gauges

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
tommy10101

Gauges

Post by tommy10101 »

Hi all,

I would like to add a wideband AFR gauge, oil temp and intake air temp gauge. Looking for 52mm gauges and want them to be arranged where the head unit currently is(I will remove head unit as this is a track car) I have found some, see attached.

I have a couple of questions

1. do you agree that these 3 are the important ones to monitor for track use? My reasoning for no fuel pressure gauge is, if the afr is good, the fuel pressure is good. No oil pressure gauge because I feel these 3 are more important and only have space for 3. IAT gauge to tell me if anything goes bad with the st205 charge cooler.

2. will 3x 52mm gauges fit in a line where the head unit in?

3. can anyone suggest other gauges and maybe a more neat selection of gauges. (All same brand etc) - while searching, I didn’t find that many AFR gauges, AEM are good ones apparently but then they don’t make an air intake temp gauge etc. So this is the best I could come up with.

Air intake in the middle, and the two AEM gauges either side - might look quite nice.

what are your thoughts?

thanks
Tom
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by tommy10101 on 17/04/20 18:51, edited 1 time in total.

TonyleFrog
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Gauges

Post by TonyleFrog »

1. Oil pressure is more important than oil temperature imo. If you feel you must have the latter then at the very least fit a pressure sensor and a big f*** off red warning light. Should it illuminate kill the engine immediately lest the bearings go south and potentially damage the crankshaft journals.

2. Yes.

Personally, I would favour a dash top* or pillar pod mounting for track use. Better to have the gauges in line of sight than down below.

* Mine are mounted directly on the dash rather than in a pod. In situ when I bought the car >10 years ago. Haven't seen the need to alter it.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
tommy10101

Post by tommy10101 »

Yes. Maybe I should get a duel display with a warning for oil pressure and temp, but then I would have 3 different makes of gauges and think it looks neater if they can all be the same brand ideally.

Which brand and type of gauges do you have?

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

White JDM version - https://www.defi-shop.com/products/adva ... mary_adbf/
Oil pressure. oil temperature, fuel pressure, boost.

I also have a standalone ECU: Apexi Power FC and Commander.
The latter's Monitor Mode can display various other parameters.
https://www.greenline.jp/catalogue/elec ... owerfc.php

Old tech now but the dog's whatsits back in the day.
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Personally i went AFR and Fuel pressure and oil pressure in mine.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”