Advice on right hand engine mount bracket (after timing belt change).

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

Advice on right hand engine mount bracket (after timing belt change).

Post by FirstMidship »

Good evening everyone,

It's been a while since I have posted on here, but decided to tackle the timing belt replacement, 3k before it's due.

However, on putting it all back together I just can't get the right hand engine mount bracket in, there is literally no space.

I recall having to wriggle it and angle it, before using all my might to pull it out, it's a wonder the lower timing belt cover suffered no damage. I can't seem to repeat that for the reassembly stage and was after some advice.

Once this is in, I can finish my reassembly and test drive the car.

Engine is inside so I'm working with whatever space is available and trying all sorts of different engine heights to wriggle and angle it in, but no luck.

Any advice greatly appreciated. I tried the search, but it seems to be directing me to how to guides rather than forum posts.

Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

Snorkie
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Advice on right hand engine mount bracket (after timing belt change).

Post by Snorkie »

Long time since I have done this, I think you have to get the engine as low as you can ( without straining anything). It is tight, but will eventually go in. Good luck.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Jack the engine up a bit from memory.

I used the car jack and a sturdy bit of wood under the engine sump. It has to go back in at a certain angle and also if your not lucky when you bolt it up the other end doesn't line up with the engine mount hole for the bolt.

Its a bit of a pain but it can be done. Its all about the angle and position of it going in, looks impossible but then again so did the whole cambelt change from the start. The whole top cambelt cover center bolt being behind the bracket. It was so much fun.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

FirstMidship wrote: 23/04/20 20:24
Any advice greatly appreciated. I tried the search, but it seems to be directing me to how to guides rather than forum posts.
Your using the wrong search box ;) use this one to search the forums https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/search.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
FirstMidship

Post by FirstMidship »

Thank you for all your replies :)

I struggled on for 3 hours yesterday, but didn't get anywhere, with the car almost resting on the rear brake dust guard, to as high as I could, I even tried to remove the alternator bracket, but that is properly stuck on some dowels on the engine block, so that wasn't going to go!

I am going to try again tonight after work, I won't have as much daylight today. In the meantime, I best dust off my push bike for my work commute haha.

Topic author
FirstMidship

Post by FirstMidship »

Just an FYI, taking the bottom timing cover off, rotating the mount bracket left and right to wriggle the bottom timing cover in and do the bolts up, seems to be the only effective way of getting the engine mount bracket in.

After that, I got the rest of the MR2 back together again in no time.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”