ECU’s

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
andyjf89
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1
MR2's Owned: 1

ECU’s

Post by andyjf89 »

So I have had issues with my 93 Tubby ECU.

I recently had it sent off to replace two leaking capacitors. Before it went the car started (hesitating to begin) and then the EML came on and flickered here or there as I was driving.

Now it is back the EML no longer comes on, however the car will not start at all.

It turns over but does not fire!

I’m struggling to find a direct replacement, it is the 89661-17380 code on the ECU.

Does anyone know if a rev 1 ecu can be a plug and play? I can find a replacement rev 1 one but can’t find a rev 2 one to save my life.

Thanks!

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Re: ECU’s

Post by MR2DI4 »

The basic difference will be the AFM of the early models or the MAF sensor of the later models.

If you have the big flappy box on top of the air filter then its and early model if you don't then its a later model and the ECU is not interchangeable between them.

I would say you possibly now have the wrong ECU ?

For your reference my March 1990 GT has ECU codes of 89661-17320 or 89661-17321 that are tested and work.

Its always going to be easier to get an earlier model ECU, I have a couple of spares sitting in the attic in case mine craps out. The ECU is like the Alternator, you need a spare of both because the car is scrap without them. Pays to get a spare, test it immediately and store it. They are like a 5 minute swap and rule out a large chunk of electronics when trying to find a fault in the future.

It would appear that each ECU revision is quite different, the leaky caps in question do not even exist on mine.

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 23/04/20 23:43 The basic difference will be the AFM of the early models or the MAF sensor of the later models.

If you have the big flappy box on top of the air filter then its and early model if you don't then its a later model and the ECU is not interchangeable between them.

I would say you possibly now have the wrong ECU ?

For your reference my March 1990 GT has ECU codes of 89661-17320 or 89661-17321 that are tested and work.

Its always going to be easier to get an earlier model ECU, I have a couple of spares sitting in the attic in case mine craps out. The ECU is like the Alternator, you need a spare of both because the car is scrap without them. Pays to get a spare, test it immediately and store it. They are like a 5 minute swap and rule out a large chunk of electronics when trying to find a fault in the future.

It would appear that each ECU revision is quite different, the leaky caps in question do not even exist on mine.

Thanks for the reply!

The car was running smooth as a nut before all of this. The EML was on and flickered a bit, was suggested could be leaking capacitors, of which two were found and replaced.

On getting the ECU back, installed etc the car just refuses to start. The EML does not come on at all now.

I’m aware the car is definitely a rev 2 given the chassis number which matches with the rev 2 import ecu number.

If anyone can source or knows of a spare rev 2 tubby ecu lying around I’ll pay good money for it 😂

Just want my car back on the road ASAP!

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

Just to add to that, the chassis number is:
SW20 0082104
ECU number is:
89661-17380

And the car has an aftermarket HKS intake with an AFM

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Just a note, the ECU has a date of manufacture stamped on one end.

That should line up pretty closely with the production date of the car itself.

If it has the AFM then any of the earlier ECU's should work as well all the way back to 1989.

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

MR2DI4 wrote: 24/04/20 0:14 Just a note, the ECU has a date of manufacture stamped on one end.

That should line up pretty closely with the production date of the car itself.

If it has the AFM then any of the earlier ECU's should work as well all the way back to 1989.
I’ve just ran downstairs and taken a look, I couldn’t see a date of manufacture on any part of the ECU at all. Any idea where this is supposed to be?

alsands_mr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by alsands_mr2 »

Have you told the guy that repaired it, when I had my ecu repaired, my car would only run for about 10 seconds, the guy had nipped a capacitor near the one he was replacing.
He replaced it, now it's fine
www.phoenixcarclub.org / members cars.
Alan & Sandra

Love thy Neighbour........But Dont Get Caught

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

alsands_mr2 wrote: 24/04/20 0:27 Have you told the guy that repaired it, when I had my ecu repaired, my car would only run for about 10 seconds, the guy had nipped a capacitor near the one he was replacing.
He replaced it, now it's fine
Thanks for the reply 👍🏻

Yeah I mentioned it to him, he seems to be blaming the capacitors that were put in being “not legit” despite them being branded and the correct ones. Would question the fact that if he doubted them why put them in in the first place?!

I’m not sure if there is substantial damage to the board since replacing the two capacitors but he has offered a refund as it’s come back more broken than it left 🙈

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I very much doubt any other ECU will work with your car, the Toyota EPC only lists one ECU for your car 89661-17380
See the attached screenshots of the Toyota EPC (Electronic Parts Catalogue) showing your car details and the ECU listed for it, the other screenshot shows that 89661-17380 is only applicable to one model. The EPC is usually very accurate as it uses your VIN to identify the exact vehicle.
andyjk89.jpg
andyjk89_1.jpg
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

Thanks for that Jimi!

Have you any ideas on what I can do? Can’t seem to find a replacement and not sure if there is anywhere nearby that can fix or repair it.

Any suggestions would be amazing

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

I would be very surprised if the earlier versions of ECU did not work. Sure there could be minor hardware & firmware tweaks with a newer ECU but fundamentally it will be functionally the same. Manufacturers should always use the plug configuration that stops you connecting the wrong thing up. If the plug configuration is the same and pin outs are the same I'm picking it will work.

The date is stamped in black print on the outside of the ECU in whats looks like a year/month/day format. If its not on there then either someone removed it or they stopped putting it on which would be unlikley.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I think you'll find the REV 1 and REV 2 ECU pinouts are different ie E6,E7 & E8 are connected differently.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
andyjf89

Post by andyjf89 »

Thanks guys.

I think if there is any sort of electrical work needing to be done to fit another one then there is no chance I can do that. Hand me hand tools and I can get a car apart quick but I’m useless at electrics.

Would anyone have any suggestions where I might find another unit or somewhere I could send mine to get looked at?

MR2DI4- you mentioned a chap who did yours, would you have his contact details you could send on to me so I can ask the question?

Clutching at straws now 🙈

alsands_mr2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by alsands_mr2 »

There is 1 on Ebay, item number 184033312510. ECU's direct ( fully refurbished) £175 + postage.
They could also possibly look at yours
www.phoenixcarclub.org / members cars.
Alan & Sandra

Love thy Neighbour........But Dont Get Caught

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”