Question regarding precat removal or simply buy a new manifold?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Jd92

Question regarding precat removal or simply buy a new manifold?

Post by Jd92 »

Hi All, I’m pretty new to the mr2 mk3 2005 ownership, I’m getting a clutch change and have read that it’s good practice to get the precat gutted?, I’m a little confused in terms of shall I get a aftermarket manifold?, a stock one that already been gutted or is it easier for a mechanic to just gut mine if it isn’t time consuming?, I hope to hear from you knowledgeable people soon as I am lost as ever! 🙃🙃

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Question regarding precat removal or simply buy a new manifold?

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

I stand to be corrected but don't think it was a problem on the newer models , I'm sure someone more knowledgable on the MK3 will clarify.
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

gannett wrote: 14/06/20 8:55 Longer answer from *cough* Another forum https://www.mr2roc.org/forum/index.php?topic=11393.0
Pretty much the same answer (but the how to still has the pics) from "cough" this forum https://mr2oc.co.uk/forum/200/122595.html There doesn't appear to be any down side to removing them and most people agree that prevention is better (and much cheaper) than cure ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Ripley »

It’s definitely worth removing the precats and is an easy job to do on the original manifold 👍

Save the bunnies!

JWJ0121

Post by JWJ0121 »

I have a question related to this one, is it true removing the precat can cause an MOT failure based on emissions? Or is it because they can't see by looking at the engine externally that it has been removed? This confuses me as surely if you get an aftermarket exhaust system like TTE or Cobra, you would be missing the precats anyway?

IanCG

Post by IanCG »

I fitted Mr Ben stainless manifold. Passed MOT emissions test with flying colours

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”