CT20b needs a rebuild.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

CT20b needs a rebuild.

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

As per title. It’s being a smokey thing now and it’s been needImg more dial in on the Blitz EBC to get the same psi.

I see a lot of guys just going for the earlier CT26b and these seem to be more popular.

My question is do I just get my CT20b fully refurbed or go for the same CT26b with it’s quicker spool up and ultimately the same circa 300bhp power or is it best to just get my CT20b refurbed for the same power but sacrifice slower spool up?

Or is the difference utterly negligible in the real world.

FYI compression is spot on across the cylinders and all the issues point towards a worn blower.

No hesitation in reaching boost or holding boost just a smokey back end which all points towards the turbo.

benckj

Re: CT20b needs a rebuild.

Post by benckj »

Don't think the CT26 will match the CT20b turbo on top end. They tend to run out of puff and only blow hot air.

If you can find someone to rebuild the CT20 I'd go that route provided you install a steel wheel on the turbine side. Often it will cost more to re-build than buying an aftermarket equivalent. Apart from being new, most aftermarkets will have better compressor & turbine design than the OEM.

jim

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

The CT26 is not great in stock form but can be modified to perform like the CT20b.

The compressor in the CT20b is slightly larger but the turbine is smaller than the CT26.

Unfortunately the turbo rebuilders will want to swap out the superior ceramic turbine wheel so they can make more money and provide you a warranty.

I would probably get it rebuilt before the compressor wheel starts hitting the compressor housing.

Very cheap to rebuild yourself but needs to be done before it eats itself.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Thanks for the advice and help.

Would one of these kits from ebay do the job?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/323733130052

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 29/06/20 14:37 Thanks for the advice and help.

No the CT20 is not the same as the CT20b. The CT26 has a shaft size of 6.5mm and the CT20b is only 5.7mm.

You need to have some skills to seperate the turbine housing from the CHRA, it may as well have been welded on. The carbon and heat lock the two parts together and they are very hard to separate.

One turbo re-builders over here said they use a large hammer, which is probably the reason they no longer want to reuse the ceramic turbine wheel. Kind of like trying to break into your 18th century Ming Vase collection cabinet with a sledge hammer because you lost the key. I used some bolts in threaded blocks and chocks placed around the turbine and used them as "jacks" so separate the two. It was very difficult to get the pressure as the surfaces don't hold the blocks due to rounded surfaces.

Once off the compressor nut can be a pain because its not a hex nut and there is a massive internal C-clip holding the compressor housing on that I made up a tool to remove.

All in all the average punter is pretty much forced into a rebuild from a decent turbo re-builders if you can find one. England is a far bigger country than little old New Zealand so you must have a least one really good place over there that doesn't like to hit everything with a hammer.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Ok, thanks for the decent and informative reply.

The ad does say they will help in confirming exactly what turbo it is I have.

I don’t want to just do the bare minimum and have it all go tits up a few thousand miles later causing even more expense.

Looks like I might just go down the fully refurbed and exchange route.

Thanks again for the help and advice, wields apart from a certain other MR2 forum where so many are tough guys and smart "censored" behind their laptops and from the safety of the net. ;)

benckj

Post by benckj »

Thanks again for the help and advice, wields apart from a certain other MR2 forum where so many are tough guys and smart "censored" behind their laptops and from the safety of the net.
Trust Carl (MR2DI4) as he has very practical experience and is happy to share this knowledge.

jim

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

MR2DI4 wrote: 29/06/20 22:14
BALDYMONSTER wrote: 29/06/20 14:37 Thanks for the advice and help.

No the CT20 is not the same as the CT20b. The CT26 has a shaft size of 6.5mm and the CT20b is only 5.7mm.

You need to have some skills to seperate the turbine housing from the CHRA, it may as well have been welded on. The carbon and heat lock the two parts together and they are very hard to separate.

One turbo re-builders over here said they use a large hammer, which is probably the reason they no longer want to reuse the ceramic turbine wheel. Kind of like trying to break into your 18th century Ming Vase collection cabinet with a sledge hammer because you lost the key. I used some bolts in threaded blocks and chocks placed around the turbine and used them as "jacks" so separate the two. It was very difficult to get the pressure as the surfaces don't hold the blocks due to rounded surfaces.

Once off the compressor nut can be a pain because its not a hex nut and there is a massive internal C-clip holding the compressor housing on that I made up a tool to remove.

All in all the average punter is pretty much forced into a rebuild from a decent turbo re-builders if you can find one. England is a far bigger country than little old New Zealand so you must have a least one really good place over there that doesn't like to hit everything with a hammer.

Thanks again Carl.

Is there any easy way to tell if it’s a Ct20 or a Ct20b?

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

You won't find a CT20 on a 3SGTE, its an entirely different turbo.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

SonicSW20 wrote: 01/07/20 13:50 You won't find a CT20 on a 3SGTE, its an entirely different turbo.

So it’s a CT20b?

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yeah it's a CT20b the CT20 is the same as the CT26 but single entry exhaust turbine and was fitted to the Landrover.

I dont think Toyota gave it the official CT20b name and hence the confusion.

Actually I think they called the CT20b a "small CT26" in documents I have seen.

Also note that Toyota NEVER made any internal spare parts for these turbos so everything is aftermarket.

I have a fake CT20b compressor wheel in my modified CT26 that came out of the USA. Not made with the precision of Toyota but it's been running full boost still since 2008.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

MR2DI4 wrote: 01/07/20 19:19 Yeah it's a CT20b the CT20 is the same as the CT26 but single entry exhaust turbine and was fitted to the Landrover.

I dont think Toyota gave it the official CT20b name and hence the confusion.

Actually I think they called the CT20b a "small CT26" in documents I have seen.

Also note that Toyota NEVER made any internal spare parts for these turbos so everything is aftermarket.

I have a fake CT20b compressor wheel in my modified CT26 that came out of the USA. Not made with the precision of Toyota but it's been running full boost still since 2008.
Thanks again.

I’ve emailed a few turbo refurb and engineering outfits up here by email as can’t get through on the phone.

Still waiting for replies.

I think I’d rather just go for a “new” refurbed number on an exchange basis but can’t seem to find anyone offering that so far.

I don’t like the car being off the road for too long as the weather in jockland is crap and using the blade daily is it an attractive proposition.

Chris69
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Chris69 »

There is no "it cant be done" only "I cant do it!"

(OO==\°/==OO)

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

Chris69 wrote: 15/07/20 23:26 Have you tried MR2-ben?

https://www.mr2-ben.co.uk/products/1050
Thanks for the link Chris.

Seems that’s the road I’ll go down as nobody is willing to give me an estimate as to how long they will have my turbo for.

I’ve bought a lot of stuff from MR2-Ben before, he’s a bit pricey but never had any issues.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”