Tips for buying an Mr2 Mk3

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
JWJ0121

Tips for buying an Mr2 Mk3

Post by JWJ0121 »

Hey guys, I'm new to the forum and wanted to ask you all for tips for buying a mk3! I know I want at least the '03 facelift with preferably <80,000 miles. Also might become a small project car in the future.

I'm aware of the notorious precat issue that haunts pre-2003 cars (and I'm told also can happen post 2003) and also some issues with burning oil. My plan would be to ditch the precat ultimately in favour of a new exhaust system.

Is there a checklist of things to check when buying these cars?

Cheers!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Tips for buying an Mr2 Mk3

Post by jimi »

There's this one
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
JWJ0121

Post by JWJ0121 »

Thanks for sharing that it's a really detailed checklist!

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Just a wee note, it's not a pre-cat issue! The pre-cats imploding are a symptom of another problem not the actual problem in the first place.

Toyota updated the Pistons with more return holes in late 2002 and then in very late 2005 as the first update did not fix the problem of oil burning. Even though I have put these dates down this is not set in stone so you have to check the actual engine numbers to find when the engine was actually issued. The UK Roadster page on facebook has a document in files with the engine number for the last change. I have also been told by those that worked with Toyota that it was not only the return holes that were updated but that there may have been a different lining put in the chambers.

Some people have retro-fitted more return holes but I'm not sure how that is going.

If you remove the precats yourself, make sure you use lots of PPE as the honeycomb is made of very dangerous chemicals. Much easier just to switch out to a new precatless manifold.

Topic author
JWJ0121

Post by JWJ0121 »

Yes very good point the precats are secondary to the oil burning issue (which explains why it is less common in post 2003 cars), I have actually just bought an 04 roadster (I love it!), 61k miles on the clock, engine running smooth everything in good condition. Need to check the precats at some point (on my to do list), I'm reluctant to remove them so think i'll just settle for keeping an eye on them, regular oil changes etc and if they do show signs of wear I'll assess my options. Also thanks for pointing out the safety issue, sounds like nasty stuff to breathe in so perhaps ought to let a garage or someone well known to decat them if I need to.

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by carolineasb »

Unfortunately, once the precats start to disintegrate, you don't have any options :( bar new engine time

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”