Mr2 Mk2 Rev 3 Turbo - Water In Boot

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
SamJ123

Mr2 Mk2 Rev 3 Turbo - Water In Boot

Post by SamJ123 »

Hi Guys,

I have recently noticed that there was a lot of moisture on my rear boot lining on my Mr2. I lifted the lining up and found a very small pool of water along with some residual dirt in the front right corner of the boot (Pictures Attached). I have checked the wheel arches and there is no rust. The heat shield above the exhaust is rusty as you would expect for a 1993 car but its only cosmetic.

I am wondering if its condensation from after my drive on the weekend when the engine/exhaust was hot and the ambient air was 10 degrees?

If so can I change the insulation or use a different material like a rubber mat?

Any ideas would be really appreciated!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: Mr2 Mk2 Rev 3 Turbo - Water In Boot

Post by MR2Jay »

Check the screws that hold the inspection panels in place. If the ones to the rear firewall are missing, then the holes act as a direct "drain" into the boot area.
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Take the carpets & lining out so they can dry properly. Then track down the leak before refitting them. Common leak points are spoiler seals, rear light gaskets and even the aerial has been known to leak.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

jimi wrote: 19/09/19 11:32 Take the carpets & lining out so they can dry properly. Then track down the leak before refitting them. Common leak points are spoiler seals, rear light gaskets and even the aerial has been known to leak.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ this
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

cosmos
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by cosmos »

The aerial has a rubber drain tube that protrudes through the floor sometimes it dose not...check!

N33CKE

Post by N33CKE »

Would be great to find out the source of the leak? (Sorry I’m late to the party!)

I have a 1991 Mk2 T-bar Japanese Import.... it’s been dormant curb side all over lock down until today... as you’ll see from the photos... there was an awful lot of water in the boot!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

cosmos
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13

Post by cosmos »

Usual suspects aerial seals and is the drain tube protruding through the floor rubber grommet, another leak could be the rear boot lid spoiler gasket is letting in water to the boot, also check the lights possibly.
Last edited by cosmos on 10/08/20 20:28, edited 1 time in total.

S81933
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by S81933 »

N33CKE wrote: 10/08/20 14:46 Would be great to find out the source of the leak? (Sorry I’m late to the party!)

I have a 1991 Mk2 T-bar Japanese Import.... it’s been dormant curb side all over lock down until today... as you’ll see from the photos... there was an awful lot of water in the boot!
You're not kidding!!!!! :confused1: :sad: :no: :facepalm:

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 4 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”