Clutch issue?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Baino

Clutch issue?

Post by Baino »

I've got a 20 year old mr2 mk3 that I've only had for a few weeks. I've not driven it much as the exhaust was horrendous on it. Finally replaced that yesterday and took it out for a spin. It drives fine normally unless I go above 3000 rpm, at this point the rpm will shoot up and the car stops accelerating. It's as if the clutch is disengaging /slipping. However it only does it about 3000rpm and no other time. I was wondering whether this might point to some other part in the system other than the actual clutch itself.(I'm a compete noob in case you couldn't tell).

Any help would be appreciated,
Thanks for your time,
Baino.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Clutch issue?

Post by jimi »

Sounds very much like the clutch is slipping and needs replaced, I take it that it is a manual gearbox ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Baino

Post by Baino »

Yes it's a manual. I'm happy to get the clutch replaced but just didn't want to waste money if it could be something else. It mainly baffled me that I couldn't get it slip any other time no matter how hard I tried.

Topic author
Baino

Post by Baino »

I've been out and tested it a bit more thoroughly since. I've tried getting it to slip by hill starting and doing 20mph then putting it in 5th and accelerating hard. It deals with these situations fine. I cannot get it to slip other than when accelerating hard and it hits 3000rpm. This happens through all the gears. If I don't accelerate hard it can go over 3000rpm no problem. I spoke to a garage who seemed a bit baffled.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

Baino wrote: 14/09/20 21:55 I've been out and tested it a bit more thoroughly since. I've tried getting it to slip by hill starting and doing 20mph then putting it in 5th and accelerating hard. It deals with these situations fine. I cannot get it to slip other than when accelerating hard and it hits 3000rpm. This happens through all the gears. If I don't accelerate hard it can go over 3000rpm no problem. I spoke to a garage who seemed a bit baffled.
standing start, set rpm at 3000+ and dump the clutch, if it slips it needs changing.
as Jimi said it really does sound like clutch needs changing
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 6 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”