Advice on rust repair

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Padraig 04
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Advice on rust repair

Post by Padraig 04 »

Hi all,
Bought a mr2 in January as my first car and since I have a lotta spare time on my hands I was wondering if anyone have any advice for me as well my mr2 is rusty af. It has the major sill rust on each side, on the passenger it has rust in the rear arch and also the rust behind the rear bumper. For someone like me how has very little knowledge on bodywork it’s a bit overwhelming for me but I still want to try my best to save this 2. So I would like any opinions or advice on how to this and maybe some advice on jacking points as the rear ones are buggered.
Rear left sill : https://imgur.com/47IVqso
Rear right sill : https://imgur.com/6fih5Nc
Rear left arch : https://imgur.com/vm9FUPX
Thanks

angpozzuto
Years of MR2 Ownership: 6
MR2's Owned: 4

Re: Advice on rust repair

Post by angpozzuto »

You're in for a lot of work there, the outside of the sills are easy as mr2ben sells repair panels, the inner sills will need new metal fabricating (I believe there are templates for them somewhere on this website)
The rear arch you're probably better off welding in an offcut from a breaker car. Also if you're car is that rusty I recommend you check the rear arch behind the bumper I'd be willing to bet it's very crispy behind there.
If you're able to weld it'll be tricky but fixable, if you need to pay someone it'll probably cost more than the car is worth.

Good luck and keep us posted
Supercharged v6 mk1 build thread
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/166558.html

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

angpozzuto wrote: 21/04/20 15:05 You're in for a lot of work there, the outside of the sills are easy as mr2ben sells repair panels, the inner sills will need new metal fabricating (I believe there are templates for them somewhere on this website)
The rear arch you're probably better off welding in an offcut from a breaker car. Also if you're car is that rusty I recommend you check the rear arch behind the bumper I'd be willing to bet it's very crispy behind there.
If you're able to weld it'll be tricky but fixable, if you need to pay someone it'll probably cost more than the car is worth.

+1
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

yep your in for a bit of tin bashing, have done all the inner sections of the sills on mine and the best thing is just take your time to get the panel right.

There is a thread here about doing the sill repairs that might be worth a read through.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/198/148602.html

best of luck with it
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

Sill templates are available to download from the Downloads section https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/c ... lates.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Padraig 04

Post by Padraig 04 »

Thanks for all the links and stuff. Going to Be hopefully pulling off some panels tomorrow and seeing what I’m working with. Thanks again and I’ll keep you all posted

FirstMidship
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by FirstMidship »

How are things going with your rust?

I'm going to be dealing with the end sill caps before the next MoT and seeing what damage I have on the inner and strengthener (T-Top only) sill plate.
Toyota MR2 MK2 Rev 5 NA (1999)

Topic author
Padraig 04

Post by Padraig 04 »

Well haven’t actually started the rust repair yet as still haven’t gotten enough money together to start fixing it (I wanna fix all the major rust areas in one go) so...
But I can confirm that’s there’s 2 holes in the boot you can fist and there’s rust all behind the rear bumper. Also what do you mean by strengthener? (Mine is also t top),is it around the sill area?
Sorry took so long to reply school been sending me piles of "censored" to do

BarrieP
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by BarrieP »

Hi All, I'm just in the process of replacing both sills and was looking for the inner rear wing templates that was once available from here: - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/c ... lates.html. The files seem to be missing. Does anyone know where I can find elsewhere? Many thanks

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

:confused1:
Files are all still there, if your not logged in you won't see them ;) or your using an old bookmark/link ? Use the link on the blue top menu bar.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/download-cats/c ... lates.html

BarrieP
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by BarrieP »

Hi Jimi. Thanks for replying. Yes I can see them now. Many thanks again.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

No worries :cool1: good luck with the repairs, if you can post up some progress pics :th:

AdamT

Post by AdamT »

angpozzuto wrote: 21/04/20 15:05 You're in for a lot of work there, the outside of the sills are easy as mr2ben sells repair panels, the inner sills will need new metal fabricating (I believe there are templates for them somewhere on this website)

hi is this mr2ben a user? and if so does he have body panels for a mk1?

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by jeff »

Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”