DAB without screen aerial

This section is for technical Q & A only - any other threads will be deleted/moved. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
GarfordJB
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

DAB without screen aerial

Post by GarfordJB »

Hi all,

I'm looking to fit a DAB radio to a MK3, but ideally, I'd like to either use the existing aerial through some sort of converter, or replace the existing aerial with a digital aerial that looks similar to stock.

Does anyone know if either of these thinks are possible?

Thank you!

John.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: DAB without screen aerial

Post by jimi »

You can use your existing aerial and one of these
Why switch to DAB ? unless you live in a city you'll get better coverage (and quite probably quality) with FM
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
GarfordJB
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by GarfordJB »

Thanks, Jimi. I'll take a look at that.

I'm a fan of DAB, as it offers a far greater choice of radio stations, and where I live, I tend to get great reception. The sound quality is just so much better.

I am actually changing the head unit for a carplay unit and as they come with DAB, seems foolish not to try to get the best out of it.
Last edited by GarfordJB on 15/12/20 15:12, edited 1 time in total.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

The choice is certainly better, the reception can appear better due to the way DAB works (but actually isn't away from the cities) quality potentially should be far superior to FM but in reality (in the UK ) is worse.
DAB radio – disadvantages

DAB radio has the potential to provide listeners with better sound quality than FM radio but in reality the bit rate (the amount of data sent per second; the higher the bit rate the higher the sound quality) of stations is minimised to allow more stations to be broadcast at once. Many stations are broadcast in mono rather than stereo for the same reason.

Low sound quality is likely to be most noticeable in cars with high-quality stereo systems that are good enough to expose the shortcomings of low quality DAB broadcasts, but for most, this just isn’t an issue.

The BBC was one of the frontrunners in test transmissions of digital radio in the 1990s and perhaps the legacy of that is that the UK currently has the world’s biggest digital radio network. Despite this, DAB coverage is still not as good as FM radio in the UK and there is plenty of anecdotal evidence from DAB radio users to suggest it’s not always possible to pick up any DAB signal, particularly in more remote areas and away from big cities.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “ICE”