Suspension Geometry

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
sandyauhc@hotmail.com

Suspension Geometry

Post by sandyauhc@hotmail.com »

Hi guys,

Just took ownership of a TF300, my first MR2 - I want to get the suspension geometry aligned and I'm based in the Reading / Bracknell area. Does anyone have a recomendation for a trustworthy / MR2 knowledgable garage I could use?

Cheers

Matt

carolineasb
Current Model: MK3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Suspension Geometry

Post by carolineasb »

Sorry can't recommend a garage as I live hundreds of miles from you, but got to ask what number of TF you have bought?

We have 115 in blue :)

Topic author
sandyauhc@hotmail.com

I have 164 in grey 😊

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb »

Aha! Turbo'd car? Roadster community usually call that colour sable :)

Topic author
sandyauhc@hotmail.com

Turbo was a dealer fit option wasn't it? Can't see any evidence of it in the paperwork. Need to spend a bit more time driving the car. I'm used to leased saloons these days so it feels much rawer obviously.

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb »

From my notes (I have notes on over 100 of the TFs), a previous owner said that it was a Dealer fit.

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb »

PS they are a great fun car! We have a Y reg (20 in July) but with an 06 heart courtesy of Dick Sloan (Roadster Breaker) that is after the very last upgrade of the pistons, and, of course, our Blue TF NO 115. Have you joined the MR2 Roadster Owners Club too? We are an almost totally Toyota family as we also have a Rav4, our son has an Avensis Tourer and our daughter has an Aygo. Only "outsider" is our daughter-in-law with a Kia Cee'd lol!

Topic author
sandyauhc@hotmail.com

That's amazing! What other notes do you have on the 164? 😊 I want to get the pre-cats sorted but not sure if they have been done. Haven't taken the heat shield off yet to look. This is my first Toyota and my first 'fun car'.

Topic author
sandyauhc@hotmail.com

Yep I am a member of the owners club now.

carolineasb

Post by carolineasb »

I don't really have a lot of information, just the reg, last owner, that it's a turbo, colour, date of first reg and where it was first reg. I have more information about some others that I've picked up over the years on Forums or car sales pages.

As it's a TF, you probably don't need to remove the precats as it should be an engine that was after the final update round about late 06/56 reg. We haven't on ours although there is a school of thought that they can break down just through vibration of the car. I take it you know that the main reason for them to break down is because it is a symptom of the real problem with early cars? The MR2 1ZZ engine's pistons didn't have enough returns and the oil control rings gum up, the car starts burning oil and then a chain of events starts culminating in the precats breaking down and being drawn back into the engine instead of out. There was an update around the time of the facelift cars around 52/03 reg, however, although it reduced the occurrence, it still happened, so Toyota upgraded again and that seems to have done the trick. I have also been told, though I don't know if it is true, that Toyota put some kind of different lining in the chambers too. Some people have retrofitted returns in the pistons but I don't know how that has gone. The precats are made of pretty dangerous stuff so a lot of PPE is needed so in the long run if you want to do it, it is easier to just swap out the manifold.

Hope this helps

Topic author
sandyauhc@hotmail.com

That is actually very helpful thank you!

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 1 month old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”