Cleaning the throttle position sensor.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
BALDYMONSTER
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 3

Cleaning the throttle position sensor.

Post by BALDYMONSTER »

I’d like to give this a good clean but I’ve been told that refitting can cause real issues if it isn’t done perfectly afterwards and can cause idling and acceleration issues.

Is this truly the case and if so what’s the trick to lining it up correctly to avoid potentential headaches if at all?

Thanks for any help in advance.

Well those are my principles, and if you don't like them... I have others.

A child of 5 could understand this! Quick, send for a child of 5!

Voivod

Re: Cleaning the throttle position sensor.

Post by Voivod »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 01/03/21 20:55 I’d like to give this a good clean but I’ve been told that refitting can cause real issues if it isn’t done perfectly afterwards and can cause idling and acceleration issues.

Is this truly the case and if so what’s the trick to lining it up correctly to avoid potentential headaches if at all?

Yeah if not set correctly will cause problems. Tools that you'll need...feller gauges,multimiter,pretty easy and straight forward. I can take the pics from manual tomorrow if you need.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

BALDYMONSTER wrote: 01/03/21 20:55 I’d like to give this a good clean but I’ve been told that refitting can cause real issues if it isn’t done perfectly afterwards and can cause idling and acceleration issues.

There is nothing you can clean by removing it,is just a slot for throttle body butterfly..all electrics and electronics behind that metal plate where part number is.You can check if it within the specified range.

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

Unfortunately they also mechanically wear and it was one of the parts that I just fitted a new one when I did the turbo upgrade in 2008.

It can be checked for "Dead Spots" its just a robust potentiometer at the end of the day but you can get wear in the shaft.

I figured that as I was maxing the stock setup out in terms of power and boost, the ECU had better be getting the right signals to try and deal with it.

It was pretty expensive from Toyota but probably not when you factor in the 12 years of driving on it since.

You can test it electrically without pulling it out, just remove the connector and connect a decent multimeter to it and pull the throttle cable from the engine bay and look for very smooth changes in resistance with no "Open circuits" or dead spots. It shouldn't jump all over the place with resistance change.

IIRC it was NZD$274 at the time.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

The BGB download I linked to in one of your other posts has the fitting/setup and checking procedures for the TPS in it.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Yeah some absolute resistance measurements are in the BGB but it doesn't tell you what you should really be looking at to check it. Pots are a bit of a thing of the past now everything has gone digital but the common problem is they go "Noisy" like turning up the volume knob on an old stereo and you get that crackle. That crackle ends up being a Voltage that is going all over the place to the ECU.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 3 years and 3 weeks old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”