Handbrake adjustment without changing pads

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
cdm

Handbrake adjustment without changing pads

Post by cdm »

I have been reading on the procedure to reset the handbrake auto adjuster - the wind it in and then wind it back out 180 degrees thing. This looks good when you need to put in new pads but I have one rear brake where the handbrake is ineffective but I don't need new pads yet. So my question is.... do I need to wind the piston all the way in and back it out 180 deg or can I just wind it in a little and then back it out 180?

Will either way re-engage the auto adjuster for the handbrake?

Thanks
C

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Handbrake adjustment without changing pads

Post by jimi »

I've used Paul's procedure for years and never had any handbrake problem (other than when one of my cables was seized) I've once replaced both rear calipers without replacing pads and all I did was follow the COMPLETE procedure with the existing pads, worked fine. Just follow the full procedure, not just the wind in / out part.
You have checked both your handbrake cables move freely when disconnected ?
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
cdm

Post by cdm »

Yes the cables are both moving the lever back and forward as normal. The left side handbrake is ok it is just the right side that has gone missing.

My question was really about screwing the piston all the way in (in order to clear the new thicker pads). I suppose then pumping the foot brake as described will move it into contact with the pads after a couple of pumps....

Thanks
C

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by benckj »

Why not just adjust the cables from under central panel to get equal pressure?

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Usually all the problems with rear brakes are caused by seized handbrake cables, although with all the corrosion issues you have in the UK a seized piston in the caliper would also be likely.

Everything working like new and the handbrake cable never needs adjusting. You just put a piston tool on the rear pistons and wind them back in. The handbrake is self adjusting as far as the pads are concerned, you just pump the brakes a few times after fitting new pads and drive away.

Its a simple setup while its all working correctly. If you cannot just put in new pads and it works there is a problem. Cables, seized pistons or seized caliper slider is not uncommon.

StoneyMR2
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2

Post by StoneyMR2 »

jimi wrote: 05/04/21 16:17 I've used Paul's procedure for years and never had any handbrake problem (other than when one of my cables was seized) I've once replaced both rear calipers without replacing pads and all I did was follow the COMPLETE procedure with the existing pads, worked fine. Just follow the full procedure, not just the wind in / out part.
You have checked both your handbrake cables move freely when disconnected ?
Have you got a link to this procedure please? I'm about to start work on the rear calipers. Thanks.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

It's written for the MK1, but the MK2 & 3 are the same setup ;)
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk1/ ... -pads.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 11 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”