Rev 3 turbo actuator pressure?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Rev 3 turbo actuator pressure?

Post by Howlin_Mad »

shinny wrote:Well, take a look at the actuator and see if the second port is blocked off or piped to the tvsv solenoid (which is bolted on underneath the engine)

Sent from my Flux Capacitor using Mr Fusion Home Energy Reactor
I'll have a look when I get into work tomorrow.

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimGTS wrote: 22/01/14 8:29 How many times do I need to say this

SET IT UP YOURSELF!!!!

Please!
Less guess work, you'll know how to adjust it, you'll know what it's doing, you can fine tune it over the months, you can stop worrying over it, you can stop asking a zillion questions why it's doing this and that an you'll actually have a better idea of how ebcs work and why the tvsv should be disabled!
Sorry I know is a very old tread :confused1: but for ma personal education I want to find out.

1st question How EBCS and TVSV works and What's the difference between them?

2nd question Why do you need EBCS and TVSV should be disabled?

3rd question Why fine tune takes over the months to fine tune it? :shocked:

Many thanks in advance..looking forward to your replay If you're still here :D

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by SonicSW20 »

Your 1st and 2nd question go hand in hand. TVSV is essentially a factory boost controller. If you are using any form of aftermarket boost controller, then you should disable the TVSV otherwise you will have issues controlling boost as you have two different devices bleeding pressure to increase boost pressure.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

3rd, generally speaking, throughout the year, we experience a multitude of temperature differences.
This could mean a boost spike in the cold winter months vs no spike in the summer months on the exact same boost settings.

So if you're familiar with the controller, you can adjust to suit. Same goes for adding more modifications, it may warrant a EBC tweak again.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

SonicSW20 wrote: 06/05/21 9:40 Your 1st and 2nd question go hand in hand. TVSV is essentially a factory boost controller. If you are using any form of aftermarket boost controller, then you should disable the TVSV otherwise you will have issues controlling boost as you have two different devices bleeding pressure to increase boost pressure.
Yeah agree with the 2nd as it will cause problems and interference etc..sorry mixed up ma wires! However question No1 is different!

I've meant to ask in 2nd question why you've to swap or change TVSV for EBCS as they are both electronic and what's the advantage or benefit apart from lighter pocket..and the risk ? :shocked:

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimGTS wrote: 06/05/21 10:35 3rd, generally speaking, throughout the year, we experience a multitude of temperature differences.
This could mean a boost spike in the cold winter months vs no spike in the summer months on the exact same boost settings.

So if you're familiar with the controller, you can adjust to suit. Same goes for adding more modifications, it may warrant a EBC tweak again.

Right..so is that applies to EBC only then or is affects Rev3 with stock boost control and exhaust system? As far as I know or heard or read..is that that Rev3 is quite fussy and wouldn't boost high in cold weather compare to a warmer weather because you need less boost to make the same power in cold weather compere to warmer weather. Is that correct or I'm missing something?

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Stock tvsv can’t be controlled, least I’ve not heard anyone doing so in the decade + I’ve owned these and been on the forums.
So no way to actually raise boost other than an ebc or a manual bleed type controller.
If you don’t plan on raising boost, you don’t need one.

Depends how cold it is, I’m sure I read 5c intake temps, which is extremely low. In our climate, no reason it shouldn’t run full boost all year. But yes pound for pound, you’ll prop notice it stronger in the colder months, low intake temps keep the engine more happy, so based on oem knock control may keep timing higher for longer. (Ecu adjusts timing based on knock).

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 11:22 Stock tvsv can’t be controlled, least I’ve not heard anyone doing so in the decade + I’ve owned these and been on the forums.
So no way to actually raise boost other than an ebc or a manual bleed type controller.
If you don’t plan on raising boost, you don’t need one.
I'm not going to argue about whatever stock tvsv can’t be controlled or could be controlled..but in my World everything is possible. :D

Luckily there is a way to rise the boost with stock boost control valve TVSV and up to 26psi and without any ebc or a manual bleed type controller.

The simple way of doing it is to fit restrictor on the pressure side of the turbocharger boost hose which connects to wastegate and to keep stock TVSV without disconnecting it. In that way you can have much stable boost in all weather conditions.Also you can preload wastegate tension which will increase the boost too.

And if you fit Rev3 TVSV on Rev1 or Rev2 you should have stock boost of Rev3. That's my next experiment :D

I've been working on many cars.. if you take for instance Subaru they have restrictor in boost control circuit,you can buy restrictor pill witn 1.2mm or 1.0mm is in side the hose

Mitsubishi Evo's using the same principles too..

jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 11:22 But yes pound for pound, you’ll prop notice it stronger in the colder months, low intake temps keep the engine more happy, so based on oem knock control may keep timing higher for longer. (Ecu adjusts timing based on knock).
Yeah cars always feels more powerful ether in the morning or very late evening :D

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 11:22 So no way to actually raise boost other than an ebc or a manual bleed type controller.
Another downside of any EBC or manual bleed type controller that they are Not safe :D

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Perhaps I was being basic in my reply, hell, you could just remove the hose and boost till kingdom come.
But generally speaking, fitting restrictors is not a thing I’ve heard on these cars.

Restictors from what I understand lower boost, changing size or removing completely, ups boost. (I used to have a r32 gtr which worked like that).
These cars don’t have restrictors, so nothing to remove as such to up boost.

I’ve been around these cars a long time, on the uk and us forums and first I heard of anyone fitting a restrictor to raise boost.
I could be completely wrong, and it is a thing, just not heard of it.

What you are talking about though is fooling the tvsv, as opposed to controlling the tvsv which I was I was referring too earlier.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 17:58 Perhaps I was being basic in my reply, hell, you could just remove the hose and boost till kingdom come.
I'm appreciate your replay and many thanks! There is no need to go extreme..however I did that too :laughing
jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 17:58 But generally speaking, fitting restrictors is not a thing I’ve heard on these cars.
Like they say..there is a first time for everything!

jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 17:58 Restictors from what I understand lower boost, changing size or removing completely, ups boost. (I used to have a r32 gtr which worked like that).
These cars don’t have restrictors, so nothing to remove as such to up boost.
That's true and I agree with that...however it will depend on what do you want to restrict..actual boost pressure to manifold or to wastegate.

jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 17:58 I’ve been around these cars a long time, on the uk and us forums and first I heard of anyone fitting a restrictor to raise boost.
I could be completely wrong, and it is a thing, just not heard of it.
Yeah I remember that as you've said it earlier! Look I don't really like to boast or make myself important..

However just to make you aware that I'm not been working at the McDonalds all those years! I've done pretty impressive conversions...that's include a stock Mitsubishi Lancer Sport 2.0l 4g63 n/a roughly 135bhp and 176 Nm from the factory !Converted to somewhat Mitsubishi Evo!

FWD with 5 speed gearbox with quaife diff with over 100k on the clock on the gearbox and the engine which were fully rebuilded.. 4G63N/A block and cylinder head. Mahle pistons and Monkey rods. Results are pretty impressive and as far as I know is the only one car in UK! If you find another one that would be great!

So it made about 290bhp with 416nm of torque which pretty impressive considering value for money and the car made pretty impressive Kill List!

Also if you look at the forum posts dating back to 2018 regarding 3sge Rev3 or Rev2 block converted to 3sgte I've done it in 2019 and my project was originally started in 2017!
jimGTS wrote: 08/05/21 17:58 What you are talking about though is fooling the tvsv, as opposed to controlling the tvsv which I was I was referring too earlier.
Well.if you're looking in to it really I actually don't really fool the tvsv technically. The TVSV still doing is job as planned..to bleed the air or pressure. Most importantly! That is still operational and controlled by ECU unlike aftermarket crap..EBC electronic or manual boost controller. It might save your engine too...! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Voivod on 09/05/21 1:17, edited 1 time in total.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

3sge Rev3 block with Rev2 head and stock CT26 with billet wheel..done around 8 to 9000k then put in another car. That's the first ever engine I've put in my car at the beginning as I was very keen to try it in real life and wanted personal experience! I fed up to searching the forums without clear answers so then decided take the plunge. It was rewarding at the end and the engine survived Custer's Last Stand! :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Voivod

Post by Voivod »

Forgot to mention that no offence or anything like that intended..is just what you've done and what you know or what I've done and what I know.

Looking forward to your replays or comments in the future! :cheers:

jimGTS

Post by jimGTS »

Let us know if it works.
I like the bling of an ebc, built in gauge, tune ability, boost cut limits etc. Though yes, is handy to keep the safety of the tvsv, even though I removed mine within 5mins of getting the car, ha.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”