Constant Ticking before trying to fire engine

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Constant Ticking before trying to fire engine

Post by jimi »

Have you checked for fault codes ?

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

No - not yet. One for later today. Presumably the SST is just a wire to jump the connectors? And I don't actually need to have the engine at normal operating temperature to be able to read the codes?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Yes to the first and no to the second https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your2/mk2/ ... codes.html

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Codes are stored until you clear them, be worth noting any stored codes, then clearing them and trying again to see if new codes are generated.

Deleted

Post by Deleted »

GraemeC wrote: 21/06/21 10:42 Thanks - yeah that lack of fuel was just me being stupid! I hadnt filled the tank enough for the pump to pump any fuel! It is now and there is pressure and fuel to the rail (brand new filter fitted too) - so at the moment I have fuel pressure, I have 12v to the injectors, the injectors have resistance, and the car fires using easy start direct to the intake - but wont even think of firing trying a normal start....
Check if there any alarm wiring going to engine bay fuse box,from underneath EFI relay

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

So now I am really being driven nuts by this. The loud and constant ticking is one of the vacuum solenoid valves and happens when the key is in the ON position. Its also accompanied by the engine warning light flashing in time with the valve ticking. If I disconnect the solenoid from the wiring it obviously stops clicking, but the engine light still flashes. If I remove the EFI relay then the clicking AND engine light flashing stops.

I've checked the engine bay fuse box (and the bonnet one too) and can find no alarm wiring at all. Nothing appears to come into the fuse box apart from the normal harness.

Now, when I tried to look for error codes I got none. When bridging TE1 and E1 the clicking and the warning light flashing both stop - but there are NO flashes of the engine warning light - either to give me a Normal System Operation code or any kind of error code. The warning light just doesnt come on at all.

What on earth is going on?!?!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Thanks for that, much appreciated. Will have a read through those threads!

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

I hope it isn't that but given the odd things happening its worth looking into

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

OK, so I've ordered a replacement ECU. WIll have to see if that has any effect when it arrives! I've also had a big dig under the drivers side dashboard at the alarm wiring under there. As well as the main controller unit, along with the LED to show if the alarm is on, immobiliser is on etc, and the touch key override, there is also an additional switch (looks like a fog light switch, but definitely is NOT a fog light switch) a second LED and a fused relay. They are part of the CObra alarm wiring but I've no clue what they do. Light flashes when switch is in the off position and is off when in the up position. But make NO effect on starting the car. I've added pics in case anyone knows what this stuff is or is meant to do! Confirmed the alarm is a Cobra 7928hf and was fitted after import from Japan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

She lives!! Thanks everyone. Was the ECU after all. The replacement ECU went in just now - and she fired into life straight away. How amazing is that? 13 or more years off the road and she fired straight away as soon as a working ECU went in! Incredible.

On to the next task now - heater pipe. When we put the fuel tank back in it knocked one of the copper heater pipes above the tank and fractured the mounting bracket. Que a leak. Was thinking of running a rubber hose underneath as a replacement rather than pulling the tank back out again.....

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Superb :clapping: that's great news :th: Have you given any thought to getting the faulty ECU repaired ? Might be worthwhile, they are getting much harder to come by.
Regarding the heater pipes, its a common failure point on MK2's
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/198/91450.html

Topic author
GraemeC

Post by GraemeC »

Will definitely look to have the faulty ECU repaired. Never hurts to have a spare! Thanks for all the help, and for the heater pipe link. Back under the car...

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”