Knowledge required, gears grinding.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Hotrod

Re: Knowledge required, gears grinding.

Post by Hotrod »

jimi wrote: 19/06/21 9:00 The red bush looks like a replacement, pretty sure oem ones are black.
I think one of the posts I linked to shows where the square bush is that wears and can be rotated. The cables could also need adjusted, I think there's a setup procedure in the BGB.
Have you changed the gearbox oil ? Failing all these it may well be worn syncro rings as TLF mentioned.
Yes I agree it is a replacement, I have another cable and that one is black.
I was going to ask if the cables were adjustable, I’ll check that out as well. I might as well do everything I can, as fixing a fifth gear synchro is not going to happen unless I lose the gear altogether. At least not yet anyway.

Topic author
Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

Update, I decided to remove the bearing from the gear cable an replaced the little rubber bush, I was going to turn the square piece as well but before I did, for some unknown reason I tried the gear change again.
I don’t know why but while going into fifth, I must have relaxed my hand and the stick just went straight in!
It feels like I’m aiming for third rather than going straight for fifth. So all full of hope I went for a test drive, and every single shift to fifth went straight in.
So, why is this, has the PO worn it in this way? Would rotating that square block possibly correct it? Either way I’m really happy it doesn’t grind anymore.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Could be the square block or cable adjustment that's causing it. Try rotating the block and see what happens. Cable adjustment is under the centre console
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23

Post by MR2DI4 »

Have you changed the gearbox oil yet or did I miss that part ?

Draining the oil and changing it will make a difference.

Topic author
Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

Not yet, it's on the to do list.

Topic author
Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

Hotrod wrote: 14/06/21 17:02
MR2DI4 wrote: 14/06/21 3:56 Just make the gearbox oil change the first thing on the "To Do List

This is the oil he gave me, is this the good or bad oil, says something in the small print about being equivalent to GL ?
I don't want to use it if it's the bad stuff.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

Not sure what 'small print' you're referring to but the label on the container clearly states

MEETS THE REQUIREMENTS OF:
API GL-5

There is a separate debate to be had about whether one should use a GL-4 spec oil rather than GL-5.
https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/41/166804 ... gear%20oil

This may also be of interest - https://www.opieoils.co.uk/t-api-car-ge ... ained.aspx
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

I would suggest the oil is only a problem if you have had a gearbox rebuilt using fake parts.

Yours could be so bad it needs a flush anyway so run what you have and change it again in 6 months.

Topic author
Hotrod

Post by Hotrod »

Ok so I read the thread/argument about GL-4/5. It's not conclusive, there are plenty of valid reason either way.
I've bought my car from a guy who has owned it from new, 30 years! It has full service history, he gave me the timing belt and the gearbox oil for its next service, so imo this guy didn't skimp on services he was all ready for the next one.
I am going to see if he has documentation for what oil was used and intervals when it was changed.
My fifth gear problem isn't an issue, now I've found I've been trying to put the stick where it doesn't want to go, I'm guessing here but I reckon it's worn in this way due to 30 yrs of the same guy changing that way.
As said in the great oil debate, genuine research would need to be done over thousands of miles with a known past, not many people will have a of chance of that.
I'm not going to open my gearbox to inspect any bushings unless it goes wrong, apart from a wonky angle for fifth gear it's done 120K and it shifts fine, I'm going to use the oil he provided for now, if the change feels better or worse after the change I will let you know.
Thanks for all the info though, it's an interesting read but really not that conclusive.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I would use the oil you have and look at the gear cable adjustment to see if the angle can be improved, although now you know you'll get used to it :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

MR2DI4

Post by MR2DI4 »

The type of oil you use has not only a huge effect on wear but driver feel. The shift from the factory oil on mine over 20 years ago now literally halved the effort on the stick to change gears. Cannot recommend Castrol syntax highly enough.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”