MR2 MK2 Engine Noise

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Develin
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

MR2 MK2 Engine Noise

Post by Develin »

Hi all,

Please see the link below! Sounds to me like top end oil starvation or top end wear and tear like a hydraulic lifter sort of noise only I understand these are shimmed buckets?

https://youtu.be/lC6Md8Sz8XY

Any insight be helpful before I pull it all apart! Engine is a 3S-GE, noise happens at around 1900-2100RPM

Many thanks,
Dev

SonicSW20
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: MR2 MK2 Engine Noise

Post by SonicSW20 »

Its at a specific RPM, and doesn't sound particularly internal to me. Sounds like something is rattling, a heatshield perhaps.

Can you tell which area of the engine the noise is coming from?
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

I used to get a similar noise at a specific rpm, every time the engine hit 2300 rpm, both on the way up and on the way down. As suggested above it turned out to be the exhaust manifold heatshield, the metal had fractured around 2 of the bolt holes, easy sorted with a penny washer either side of the shield.
I also get one now from the silencer ( I suspect a loose baffle internally) but only when the exhaust is cold, once up to normal running temperature it goes away. This one I can live with, the other did my head in until I found it. :)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Develin
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Develin »

Thanks guys you were absolutely spot on - it was another chap at the garage that was sure it sounded top end but I must admit my first thought was heat shield or something so I'm glad you all suggested that because after putting it up in the air I found the issue pretty quickly actually... See picture :facepalm:

Now just time to drill and tap
IMG_20211123_144616.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

:th: Relatively easy (and cheap) to fix, glad you found it :cool1:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 2 years and 4 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”