Accidental owner!

Welcome to the club, come and say hello
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Graham66

Accidental owner!

Post by Graham66 »

Hi all, just bought my first MR2, not quite by accident but instead of the mx-5 I originally went to look at. Seller had the MR-2 on his drive and was amenable to selling. Took it for a quick test and fell in love. It’s an 05 mk3 with about 84 thousand on the clock, very clean, new brakes all round, enough history and receipts to fill a wheelbarrow, and a nice sounding aftermarket exhaust. I’ve had more fun in 2 days than I have had in about the last 5 years 😬 Happy doing the majority of mechanical work myself, and as a newbie was wondering if anyone has any tips along the lines of look out for this, make sure you do that, and whatever you do leave that alone!
Cheers!

MRHAPPY62
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: Accidental owner!

Post by MRHAPPY62 »

Welcome to the Club :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Personally dont know much about mk3's but rear subframe rust seems to be a problem .and the one I owned for a short time had steering uj issue when I bought it . Enjoy it and post some pictures :D
MK2 3sge Uk sold.
MK3 Chilli red sold.
MK2 Smg Gltd Super Edition now with V6

Topic author
Graham66

Post by Graham66 »

Thanks for that, so long as it doesn’t rust like a Mazda! I’m ok with welding, and there were no advisories on the mot (about a month ago). I’ll post some pics when I’ve mastered posting here 😂

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Graham66

Post by Graham66 »

Thanks for that, finding more as I browse😬 will take a few pics tomorrow and post

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Welcome aboard :th:

With the MK3, yours is a later one so the critical issues were mainly sorted out (Early ones had oil burning issues etc)

Only things I would look out for (as mentioned above) are the rear subframe rotting - although I believe the later ones don't suffer as badly, the UJ on the steering, check for play on the rear suspension bushes, the ones in the lower control arms especially and as a precaution, check the pre-cat to see if it's still packed. Although the later ones don't suffer from these collapsing anything like as badly as the early ones, in my mind it's still worth gutting this precat to avoid any chance of any break up. It won't affect the emissions as the main cat would still be intact :th:
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

martin42006
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by martin42006 »

Pretty much all the common issues have been mentioned by the fellows above.
keep an eye out for rust as they are starting.
check oil and just keep an eye out for it burning some, The later ones are better but still have issues.
oil leaks from the chain tensioner o-ring are pretty common, easy to fix though.
Remove the pre-cats if they are still there just for your own peace of mind, doesnt affect emmissions at all.
Read the KY2 and learn as you go, most importantly though is to drive it and have fun with the roof down :D
What next? What little thing will change the world because the little tinkers carried on tinkering? - Raising Steam
GNU Terry Pratchett

andyroo
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 15

Post by andyroo »

Hi and welcome to the OC.
MR2 MK3 Silver 56
Mercedes E220 2016
Lexus IS300H 2014

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Introduce Yourself”