Power steering fault

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
Post Reply

Topic author
Coffeedan
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 9
Joined: 03/12/17 0:41

Power steering fault

Post by Coffeedan » 06/12/17 7:30

Good morning

Right still not sorted my first issue which has a separate thread,

So issue number 2

Yesterday morning I realised my power steering had failed, no light on dash
So a little inspection and some reading I have found the following

Wire straight from battery to powerstearing pump
Another wire from pump to the front hood fuse box twisted onto a fuse
And the ps light on the dash doesn't work

I fiddled about with these extra wires and managed to get the ps working although it was running all constant as soon as the ignition was on (not sure how I missed this when buying the car but I did)

I also found a second ps relay in the boot

So I have dissoconnected the extra wiring as I'd prefer no ps than the ps motor being burned out due to being on all the time
I have tried both relays with no Joy altho there is a possibility they are both faulty

So I'm at the conclusion that I need a new ps ecu
As ps motor is tested and working
And 2 x relays have been tested

So does it sound like I'm on the right track

I also have an issue 3 but ill leave that till I've sorted 1 + 2 first

Thanks again for any help provided



User avatar

benckj
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 110
Joined: 05/04/06 1:00
Gender: Male
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
Location: Alexandra, New Zealand

Re: Power steering fault

Post by benckj » 06/12/17 7:46

Did you try the key ON key OFF x 30? Most of the time it will clear the relay and PS will operate as normal .

Jim


Topic author
Coffeedan
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 9
Joined: 03/12/17 0:41

Re: Power steering fault

Post by Coffeedan » 06/12/17 7:53

benckj wrote:
06/12/17 7:46
Did you try the key ON key OFF x 30? Most of the time it will clear the relay and PS will operate as normal .

Jim

New I missed something, yes I tried on both realys and it made no difference
But what I did notice is the relay was warm when I went to change to the other

User avatar

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Posts in topic: 1
Posts: 3254
Joined: 17/05/04 1:00
Gender: Male
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 1
Location: Glenrothes: The Kingdom of Fife
Contact:

Re: Power steering fault

Post by jimi » 06/12/17 17:34

Bare in mind there are other inputs to the PS ECU that can affect its operations, ie speed sensor and steering sensor.
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour
Image


Topic author
Coffeedan
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 9
Joined: 03/12/17 0:41

Re: Power steering fault

Post by Coffeedan » 07/12/17 6:55

jimi wrote:
06/12/17 17:34
Bare in mind there are other inputs to the PS ECU that can affect its operations, ie speed sensor and steering sensor.
Not as simple as I was hoping then,
I'll look into these as well then

User avatar

MR2DI4
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 903
Joined: 20/04/11 23:18
Gender: Male
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1
Real Name: Carl
Location: Auckland >>> New Zealand

Re: Power steering fault

Post by MR2DI4 » 07/12/17 7:36

Disconnect the battery wait a few minutes and reconnect it.

The relay is not the problem, the ECU doesn't switch the coil of it. Pretty common problem its like an inherent fault that crops up now and again then goes away for years at a time. Its a glitch in the design if you ask me, usually a "Reset" by removing the battery clears the problem until next time.

Never been able to nail the problem as soon as I have ever began to try and pinpoint the problem it disappears on you.

I use a second P/S relay in mine to switch both the engine bay fans, its never faulted. There is effectively a "Test Mode" every time I switch the car on the fans run for several seconds then turn off and then run in a boost/temperature controlled mode from that point on. Never not heard the fans turn on when they are supposed too.


Topic author
Coffeedan
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 9
Joined: 03/12/17 0:41

Re: Power steering fault

Post by Coffeedan » 08/12/17 8:31

MR2DI4 wrote:
07/12/17 7:36
Disconnect the battery wait a few minutes and reconnect it.

The relay is not the problem, the ECU doesn't switch the coil of it. Pretty common problem its like an inherent fault that crops up now and again then goes away for years at a time. Its a glitch in the design if you ask me, usually a "Reset" by removing the battery clears the problem until next time.

Never been able to nail the problem as soon as I have ever began to try and pinpoint the problem it disappears on you.

I use a second P/S relay in mine to switch both the engine bay fans, its never faulted. There is effectively a "Test Mode" every time I switch the car on the fans run for several seconds then turn off and then run in a boost/temperature controlled mode from that point on. Never not heard the fans turn on when they are supposed too.
Thanks for advice but the disconnect of battery didn't work
So I'm going equipped with wiring diagram and gonna have a play about see if I can pinpoint the fault

I like the idea of running fans through a ps relay this may fix my issue 1 any chance you tell me how you have this wired up


Topic author
Coffeedan
Posts in topic: 5
Posts: 9
Joined: 03/12/17 0:41

Re: Power steering fault

Post by Coffeedan » 08/12/17 10:47

So had a little play this morning

- from the battery to the - on the power steering pump

+ from power steering pump to plus on the p/s relay

We have constant power steering again motor sounds like it's running over drive

So
Relays is fine
P/s motor is fine

But neither are getting a signal, started snowing so I called off the investigation

User avatar

MR2DI4
Posts in topic: 2
Posts: 903
Joined: 20/04/11 23:18
Gender: Male
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1
Real Name: Carl
Location: Auckland >>> New Zealand

Re: Power steering fault

Post by MR2DI4 » 04/01/18 4:29

To wire in the PS relay instead of the I/C stock fan.

Essentially your just turning the coil of the relay into the "Fan". I don't like cutting off stock connectors from the wiring loom so cut the connector off the fan and wired it to the
P/S relay coil by making an "Adapter" as the P/S relay came with the bit of loom from a wrecked car.. You then have to wire a 30A feed wire from the fuse box in the engine bay and this goes to the contact of the P/S relay and you use the the P/S relay to switch both the I/C fan and a hood fan. I stuck in a SPAL instead of the stock I/C fan so the current consumption when this and the hood fan kicks in is like 16Amps so a decent relay is required.This gives you both fans on with over temp and I also added a boost controlled switch which fools the fan ECU into thinking its over temp at over 5psi of boost with an off delay timer so the fans run up to 30 seconds after you come off boost.

Post Reply

Return to “MK2”