Intermittent starting issue - help to diagnose

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
DaveBrickley
Posts in topic: 5

Intermittent starting issue - help to diagnose

Post by DaveBrickley » 15/03/18 21:29

hi

I acquired a Mk 2 (1990) two weeks ago which runs very nicely except at very low revs, or from a standing start, it bogs down, like it's being starved of fuel. It's simple enough to 'drive around' since you can build up the revs ahead of when you need them

The bigger problem is whether it starts at all. I was sadly encouraged by RAC to pay to have immobiliser removed at quite a significant labour cost which has not fixed the issue.

The same garage now diagnose a 'weak spark' and have quoted £180 for replacement parts.

I am taking it to a place I have known many years, but I need to get it started!

The lights which come on when the key is turned to first position are: Left (Oil, Battery, another oil with a line under it...?), Right (Handbrake, door open, engine, then beneath handbrake is something that looks like engine with a fan to the left...?)

My question to the group is, does the issues above sound like something a ignition coil or amp would cause?

Thanks for any help

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Posts in topic: 1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 14
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Intermittent starting issue - help to diagnose

Post by jimi » 15/03/18 22:37

DaveBrickley wrote:
15/03/18 21:29

The lights which come on when the key is turned to first position are: Left (Oil, Battery, another oil with a line under it...?), Right (Handbrake, door open, engine, then beneath handbrake is something that looks like engine with a fan to the left...?)
Oil Pressure, Battery, Oil Level .... Handbrake, Door Open, CEL (Check Engine Light), Engine bay cooling fan
All normal when the key is turned to the first position, is the CEL on steady or flashing
Dash warning lights are shown here http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2. ... bartid=244
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
DaveBrickley

Post by DaveBrickley » 15/03/18 22:54

jimi wrote:
15/03/18 22:37
DaveBrickley wrote:
15/03/18 21:29

Oil Pressure, Battery, Oil Level .... Handbrake, Door Open, CEL (Check Engine Light), Engine bay cooling fan
All normal when the key is turned to the first position, is the CEL on steady or flashing
Dash warning lights are shown here http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2. ... bartid=244
It's on steady. Never seen any (unexpected) lights come on when it's started or driving.

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 » 16/03/18 2:28

What parts did you get quoted for ?

Typical stuff is just plugs and a distributor cap for a weak spark, after that the parts that start to be involved would stop your car running altogether.

headcase
Authorised Trader
Authorised Trader
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by headcase » 16/03/18 6:10

Check the coil they crack and can cause hard starting

Topic author
DaveBrickley

Post by DaveBrickley » 16/03/18 6:33

MR2DI4 wrote:
16/03/18 2:28
What parts did you get quoted for ?

Typical stuff is just plugs and a distributor cap for a weak spark, after that the parts that start to be involved would stop your car running altogether.
A new coil and amplifier, I believe. Not heard back from them in two days ...

Topic author
DaveBrickley

Post by DaveBrickley » 16/03/18 6:34

headcase wrote:
16/03/18 6:10
Check the coil they crack and can cause hard starting
I am hoping to hear from chap in Sheffield with eBay shop as that’s drivable, I will try and remove mine in hope he can test it

Topic author
DaveBrickley

Post by DaveBrickley » 16/03/18 19:44

Any experience using an aftermarket part such as this?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FOR-TOYOTA-C ... 0675.m4236

Robbie_742003
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Robbie_742003 » 21/03/18 8:58

If its not been thought of already, the coil and igniter (if both working properly) require a good earth. Take a look where they are bolted to the body, and if required, unbolt and clean up the contact point.

Rob

Return to “MK2”