Coolant Type/Mixture ratio

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
harri46
Posts in topic: 1

Coolant Type/Mixture ratio

Post by harri46 » 18/03/18 14:42

Hi All.

Planning on having the coolant changed just wondered whats the best product to use. Is it advisable to use Toyota red or can you I use a standard product from the factors? Is it best to use concentrate or ready mixed? I am thinking about using a red concentrate 5L and adding water to make up the rest up to the 13.5L capacity. I am interested in the red cause it apparently lasts upto 5 years as opposed to the blue that lasts only two years.

Any info much appreciated.

Darren

benckj
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Re: Coolant Type/Mixture ratio

Post by benckj » 18/03/18 17:20

If it’s already got Toyota red stick with that. Important to drop and flush system with clean water first then replace and bleed air properly using vents. Concentrate or pre-mix is much the same.

Good time to inspect all hoses and rad cap or even replace before refill. Also don’t forget to flush the overfill bottle as often debris from system can collect there. There are plenty of guides on how to do the work but I’d stick my BGB and raise back of car to aid air removal.

Jim

MR2DI4
Posts in topic: 2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 » 18/03/18 20:29

Have used the Castrol green stuff for years. Mixed this with rain water and have never changed it since owning the car.

The two year thing is a crock, it lasts for over 10 years.

Where your car gets into trouble is if its ever been in a frontal crash or has dropped the coolant for some reason and its been replaced with just water. This happens every time if the car has ever seen a panel beater as they save money by not replacing the coolant.

If your car has always had coolant in it, no matter how old that coolant is its 10 times better than plain water. New engines are better as the coolant is in less contact with cast iron but the MR2 is real bad with the cast iron block. Failure to use coolant will eventually lead to overheating problems as the crud blocks up all the small hoses and pipes as well as pathways into the head reducing the flow.

As above you don't want to mix the different types so you need to flush all your old stuff out.

Ratio I used is 2 parts water 1 part coolant or 33%.

https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia ... ol-nf.html

Gazza_DJ
Regional Rep
Regional Rep
Posts in topic: 3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by Gazza_DJ » 18/03/18 22:42

The Toyota stuff is barely any more expensive than the correct type from a motor factors, just stick with that. It's not that expensive, it's proven to be very effective against corrosion and will last a long time. The water pump I took off my 3SGE which had seen ~70,000 miles looked brand new internally.

Just mix it 50% distilled water 50% concentrate.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 » 18/03/18 23:00

I use halfords advanced concentrated and mix it 50:50 so 7 ltr halfords and 7 ltr distilled or rain water filtered from water butt.
ass Gaz said about same price just depends where you are when buy it
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16
Wales runs 14/15/16/17

MR2DI4
Posts in topic: 2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by MR2DI4 » 19/03/18 6:55

Just don't think your making it better by mixing it higher then 50/50 as your not.

A couple of guys over here used straight coolant with no water and blew up the engine. The Glycol is actually poor at cooling, its the water doing the cooling and the Glycol raises the boiling point and inhibits the rust.

By the way I have never replaced the factory fitted water pump that was installed new in 1990.

Gazza_DJ
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Post by Gazza_DJ » 19/03/18 10:16

No one is saying mix it more than 50:50. That's the recommended dilution for the Toyota stuff. Looks like that Radicool stuff you've mentioned is relatively expensive here too compared to Toyota concentrat ~£6 per litre for Toyota stuff, ~£10 per litre for Radicool. I know which one I'd go for.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber » 19/03/18 17:03

Ive always used the ecp red coolant stuff and mixed it myself with their own distilled water.
Never had a problem and coolant system is still nice and clean.
Recently replaced the water pump during a rebuild and nothing wrong with it.

Also use the same stuff in my charge cooler.

I checked the ingredients from the toyota red stuff and its EXACTLY the same.

Gazza_DJ
Regional Rep
Regional Rep

Post by Gazza_DJ » 19/03/18 17:53

Yeah nothing wrong with it or the Halfords stuff, it just no cheaper than the Toyota stuff really.
Rev5 Sonic Shadow

Return to “MK2”