Problem found leaking capacitors

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem

Topic author
Mr2tubi
Posts in topic: 2

Problem found leaking capacitors

Post by Mr2tubi » 19/03/18 22:12

I've recently had running issues with my rev 2 turbo first I thought it was a boost leak I done a smoke test and all seemed fine

Secondly I noticed high idling and white smoking on idle when warmed up but this went away after a 30 mins drive

I went out earlier and started the car it was running really rough and lumpy then it died on me and it wouldn't fire back up

So after doing some research I went and found a guide on how to remove the ECU open it up and check the capacitors , so I done this and I found that capacitor c810 was leaking and on the small board capacitor c512 was leaking alot

So I'm after a decent second hand ECU or shall I try to solder new capacitors in?

I'm not sure if this could explain the intermittent white smoking but definatly the idling problem and flickering ecu light I would put it down to these leaky capacitors

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Problem found leaking capacitors

Post by MR2DI4 » 19/03/18 22:24

Got a picture ?

The only board work I did was on a TVIS resistor that got fried.

The board is clearcoted so don't use IPA on it, just solder through it and replace the caps and don't try cleaning up the flux.

The solder is now old, probably the best way to get the parts out is with two soldering irons and the part drops out under its own weight.

Presumably both parts are electrolytic s so are readily available, just get quality parts or even upgrade to Aluminium Electro's

Topic author
Mr2tubi

Post by Mr2tubi » 19/03/18 22:30

How do you upload a picture on here ?

I see I'm going to attempt to fix it at the weekend apparently you can get some new capacitor replacements at a local maplins so I'll try there

It's just a very fiddly job I haven't any Experiance in soldering really

abovetherim
Posts in topic: 1
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by abovetherim » 20/03/18 0:30

At maplin you could also buy a solder sucker. It is like a large syringe but in reverse with a strong spring. You melt the solder on one pin then quickly put the sucker over it and press the button. Alternatively maplin also sell solder removal ribbon which you place over the solder and heat it up and once melted the solder flows into the ribbon and off the board.

Make sure you check the orientation of the components. And trim the legs AFTER soldering in.

When soldering in put some solder on the iron first then bring to the pin and board and feed in more as necessary.

Watch some videos on YouTube.
Not really difficult but there is a knack.
1991 rev 1 T Bar n/a 3sge import. A work in progress!!!

MR2DI4
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20

Post by MR2DI4 » 20/03/18 4:11

Yes the above works but some boards can be a pain. The solder is old so resoldering the pins first can help. I have found that depending on the component two irons or my hot air setup is best or you can overheat the board and the pads fall off. Two irons ensures the minimum heat and time exposed to heat is kept as low as possible.If the component has alot of copper around it like a PC motherboard then a solder sucker doesn't work, the only way it two irons. The copper sucks all the heat out of the connection.

Used to use photobucket to upload the pictures to then you just insert the IMG link here and your done.

If you don't have alot of electronics experience or the gear you can probably find someone who does.

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=toyot ... _LkNp7_1RM:

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by TonyleFrog » 20/03/18 6:12

Mr2tubi wrote:
19/03/18 22:30
How do you upload a picture on here ?
Upload it to a hosting site. Forget Photobucket, they no longer allow you to post images to third party web sites (such as this forum) unless you take out a subscription. Try Imgur.
abovetherim wrote:
20/03/18 0:30
At maplin...
If you're going to Maplin for supplies, do it while you still can.
Just a matter of time before they are history.
MR2DI4 wrote:
20/03/18 4:11
Yes the above works but some boards can be a pain. The solder is old so resoldering the pins first can help. I have found that depending on the component two irons or my hot air setup is best or you can overheat the board and the pads fall off. Two irons ensures the minimum heat and time exposed to heat is kept as low as possible.If the component has alot of copper around it like a PC motherboard then a solder sucker doesn't work, the only way it two irons. The copper sucks all the heat out of the connection.
The biggest enemy of a good soldered joint is contamination/oxidation.
When replacing components and resoldering cleaning up the old is paramount.
MR2DI4 wrote:
20/03/18 4:11
If you don't have alot of electronics experience or the gear you can probably find someone who does.
Given what the OP wrote earlier, I would concur. :)
Mr2tubi wrote:
19/03/18 22:30
I haven't any Experiance in soldering really
That said it's a useful skill to master for any electrical circuit work (e.g. wiring).
Properly soldered joints are far more reliable than crimped ones.

A couple of links the OP may find helpful.

And - https://www.quora.com/Is-lead-free-or-l ... a-beginner
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by notroubleclubber » 20/03/18 8:11

Its not just the caps that cause the problem. They leak and eat away the pcb. You may need to jumper some connections.
Best thing to do is get someone competent to do it. That way if anything needs repairing then they can do that as well.
You could buy another ecu but this is a common problem so you may just end up having to repair another ecu anyway.
Get it done properly, it wont cost much, then you dont need to worry ever again.

Return to “MK2”