Search found 677 matches

by gavsdavs
24/06/18 22:04
Forum: South East
Topic: Skywalker memorial
Replies: 3
Views: 44

Re: Skywalker memorial

I will do my best to get there. Sounded like a top bloke.
by gavsdavs
23/06/18 21:00
Forum: MK2
Topic: MR2 MK2 Rev 5 brake discs.
Replies: 3
Views: 76

Re: MR2 MK2 Rev 5 brake discs.

Thanks for the advice. Never had a car with vented rear discs before (never had a mid engine car). Would you happen to know what the std brake bias is front to rear? Mark I think it depends on the car a bit, I think N/A is different to Turbo -I think its's 55F45R The US guys have done a lot of stud...
by gavsdavs
22/06/18 22:40
Forum: General Banter
Topic: EPIC FAIL.
Replies: 10
Views: 203

Re: EPIC FAIL.

Unfortunately these older cars are no longer really daily drivers anymore. You still need a decent late model car in the garage to back it up or for going on longer runs. That said, my older subaru has a cracked head gasket and it my daily driver until it dies then the whole car is scrap. Pretty mu...
by gavsdavs
22/06/18 7:57
Forum: Engine Conversions
Topic: Fitting an oil gauge sender to a 2GR-FE
Replies: 38
Views: 436

Re: Fitting an oil gauge sender to a 2GR-FE

Gav... I like your ideas and it's generated a pretty interesting discussion. But your question is ultimately "Why didn't Toyota make a better, more sophisticated car?". The answer to that is they are running a business and trying to make a profit by making a car to a price point for a certain secti...
by gavsdavs
20/06/18 21:48

I wasn't suggesting the oil pressure is shown to the driver. I wasn't anticipating it be necessary to fit another gauge or analogue wires into the loom. I was really only on about having a pressure sensor report into the ECU and the reason I think they might have done it would be see problems coming...
by gavsdavs
20/06/18 17:30
Forum: General Banter
Topic: EPIC FAIL.
Replies: 10
Views: 203

Re: EPIC FAIL.

Ouch - that's a bummer. Hope the HG in the hire car is okay :) :)
by gavsdavs
20/06/18 17:29

It's all to do with use case: 1) A car manufacturer is looking for simple, reliable and cheap. Your average driver only cares about warning of a catastrophic failure, in which case a simple switch set at a suitably low point so it doesn't give false negatives is ideal. Provided the oil system is wo...
by gavsdavs
20/06/18 8:09

Still doesn't have an oil pressure sensor, only a pressure switch ;) You'd think for a few extra quid they'd bung a real sensor in there :( Why? What would they use it for? I'm confused and I'm finding your comments a bit contradictory. Earlier in the thread you were espousing how valuable a real o...
by gavsdavs
19/06/18 18:46

jimi wrote:
19/06/18 10:49
gavsdavs wrote:
19/06/18 9:08

2GRs have a lot of sensors on them - it's a lot more modern than a 3S :)
Still doesn't have an oil pressure sensor, only a pressure switch ;)
You'd think for a few extra quid they'd bung a real sensor in there :(
by gavsdavs
19/06/18 9:08

Excellent stuff, I don't think they expose this in the ECU OBD data - Shame No, because the ECU probably doesn't know it. Certainly on the 3s engines, the oil warning light is done on a pressure switch and there's no sensor even connected to the ECU, let alone feeding it anything more sophisticated...
by gavsdavs
18/06/18 22:31

OK at the risk of a flame breaking out and almost certainly teaching you all to suck eggs………… As I see it oil pressure is a very important factor in ensuring the longevity of my engine. Oil pressure is higher when the engine is cold due to the increased viscosity of the oil, and also increases with...
by gavsdavs
17/06/18 17:30
Forum: South East
Topic: Kent Run 2018 season - Round 3 Sunday 17th June
Replies: 36
Views: 558

Re: Kent Run 2018 season - Round 3 Sunday 17th June

Early starts kill me so the breakfast has to be worth it. It was :)
by gavsdavs
15/06/18 20:36
Forum: MK2
Topic: UK mk 2 MR2 with 5K miles.
Replies: 4
Views: 167

Re: UK mk 2 MR2 with 5K miles.

Check thee MOT history for the reg. Something that low is extremely unusual. It makes it a little more valuable - what general condition is it in ?

Go to advanced search