Search found 878 matches

by MR2DI4
23/06/18 21:39
Forum: MK2
Topic: Electric window on driver side will not wind up
Replies: 3
Views: 70

Re: Electric window on driver side will not wind up

Never had a problem with the switches or wiring in mine, the whole window regulator which is the metalwork attached to the glass to move it up and down just metal fatigues and falls to bits or jams. The bolts holding it also work loose over time which has the effect of artificially loading the mount...
by MR2DI4
23/06/18 3:44
Forum: General Banter
Topic: EPIC FAIL.
Replies: 10
Views: 203

Re: EPIC FAIL.

Unfortunately these older cars are no longer really daily drivers anymore. You still need a decent late model car in the garage to back it up or for going on longer runs. That said, my older subaru has a cracked head gasket and it my daily driver until it dies then the whole car is scrap. Pretty mu...
by MR2DI4
21/06/18 23:13

Older cars are now so cheap over here they simply get scrapped rather than repaired.

The last BMW 318i I got to play with we swapped it for an iphone 5S and when it looked like too much work sold it for $400 and that was a 2000 year car !

The MR2's are now weekend toys.
by MR2DI4
20/06/18 23:35

Unfortunately these older cars are no longer really daily drivers anymore. You still need a decent late model car in the garage to back it up or for going on longer runs. That said, my older subaru has a cracked head gasket and it my daily driver until it dies then the whole car is scrap. Pretty muc...
by MR2DI4
15/06/18 6:13
Topic: Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?
Replies: 11
Views: 217

Re: Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?

The best idea would to replace them with really good quality capacitors like aluminium electrolytic or some Panasonic or well known brand electrolytic capacitors. https://nz.rs-online.com/web/p/aluminium-capacitors/0571256/ Potentially even Tantalums would be good. Simply not worth putting cheap "ce...
by MR2DI4
11/06/18 22:02
Topic: Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?
Replies: 11
Views: 217

Re: Mr2 Turbo Jap Import - Rev 2 - ECU 89661-17380 Fix or replace?

Yes I would be interested in any pictures, I have a couple of spare ECU's but I don't seem to be having the same capacitor problems but the best idea would be to replace the caps before they leaked and damaged the board. Even posting the number of the cap printed on the board and the value of it wou...
by MR2DI4
09/06/18 22:00
Topic: REV-4 OEM brake upgrade options
Replies: 3
Views: 112

Re: REV-4 OEM brake upgrade options

Stock brakes are fine, I have even taken mine on the track which is WAY harder than you can ever push them on the road and I have the Rev 1 brakes. You just need all new rotors and pads, flush and rebuild the rear calipers as they seize and replace the handbrake cables with new ones as they also sei...
by MR2DI4
05/06/18 6:17
Topic: Should I fit a cone air filter?
Replies: 21
Views: 397

Re: Should I fit a cone air filter?

Don't waste your time changing the stock setup, you don't seriously think that all those Toyota engineers had no idea what they were doing when they made it ? If you want to waste your time trying to make it sound different then yes but if you think its a performance increase modification then its a...
by MR2DI4
05/06/18 6:16
Topic: Should I fit a cone air filter?
Replies: 21
Views: 397

Re: Should I fit a cone air filter?

Don't waste your time changing the stock setup, you don't seriously think that all those Toyota engineers had no idea what they were doing when they made it ? If you want to waste your time trying to make it sound different then yes but if you think its a performance increase modification then its a...
by MR2DI4
04/06/18 9:39
Forum: MK3
Topic: Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)
Replies: 4
Views: 123

Re: Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)

It does the same thing no matter where I turn the drive shaft from. The driveshaft is in good health with no play so as you suspect, it is likely an jnternal issue with the gearbox. It strangely only does it on the right side. Thanks for the help. Have you dropped the oil out of the gearbox and ins...
by MR2DI4
04/06/18 0:05
Forum: MK3
Topic: Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)
Replies: 4
Views: 123

Re: Knocking? Thoughts? (video inside)

Sounds like there is no oil in the gearbox. Something has worn real bad and now there is loads of backlash in the gears. Suspect the gearbox has never had an oil change in its life. Could be worn spline, what happens when you turn the shaft right as it enters the gearbox ? Once you have a situation ...
by MR2DI4
27/05/18 23:12
Topic: Turbo and Manifold extraction
Replies: 18
Views: 242

Re: Oil leak on banjo turbo pipe

Is it just me or does that look like the hole has been helicoiled? You could try annealing the copper washers first. Beat them with blow torch til glowing then quench them with cold water. This will make them more pliable. Yes that thread doesn't look right. The original factory washers are very th...
by MR2DI4
27/05/18 0:08
Topic: Oil Pump failure?
Views: 177

Re: Oil Pump failure?

Nah think about it in reality, how many people are even looking at the dash when they turn the key ? Really you look at the dash every time you start the car and wait for the red oil light to go out ? it doesn't happen, your in the 5% if you do. I look at the dash and check the oil light after an oi...
by MR2DI4
26/05/18 8:52
Topic: Oil Pump failure?
Views: 177

Re: Oil Pump failure?

Yes it should come on with just the ignition but so does a load of other lights on the cluster. You brain is wired to notice lights that come on while normal driving, thats the nature of a warning light. Sure you notice it when you have a good switch as its one of the last to go off when you start t...

Go to advanced search