Coilover or standard

Use this forum to chat about general MR2 topics. See also the Mk1 Mk2 and Mk3 sections above for more specific technical information

Topic author
dominicreeks@gmail.com

Coilover or standard

Post by dominicreeks@gmail.com »

Hi, not a tech question on suspension- more a general request for advice on the merits (or not) to fit coilovers to a MR2 based on your experience. I am restoring a U.K. spec MR2 MK2 rev2. Next phase (and almost last phase) is the suspension- i’m having the underside sealed and having the suspension removed to do it. I now have a choice- fit coilovers or fit as close to original as possible - excepting Original dampers may now be discontinued. I love this car… I will never race or use it on a track. I would be glad for some general viewpoints on what you would do based on experience. Thank you…

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: Coilover or standard

Post by _Al_ »

Coilovers or not isn’t a binary option. The difference between a cheap set and a quality set isn’t just branding - you get a much more capable set of equipment. There’s also the question of supporting mods like roll centre adjustment etc. if you’re just doing it for road I’d stay as close to stock as possible
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

jeff
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 20
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jeff »

i found original springs were impossible to source, so went for coil overs and really happy with ride
Not Plan B again!! Why don't we just go with plan B in the first place?
It’s more important to lose a minute in life than your life in a minute

nick

Post by nick »

I agree re coil overs. Better handling and no worse ride. If you go on track the adjustability is a bonus.

You need to get proper suspension alignment done .

BYRNEY1984
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by BYRNEY1984 »

I fitted tein fully adjustable coil overs when I restored my rev1 bodywork. They are perfect for the road and set at a nice nice for speed bumps etc. even though I have a genuine bomex front bumper which is lower and longer. Clears the humps fine when slow of course. Also I removed the whole suspension set up and polybushed everything including the engine mounts and had it all powder coated. Looks amazing when it MOT time haha. Just don’t get cheap coil overs or you hate the ride and same as cheap polybushes. Its a bit dirty as I have just almosty finished refitting my V6 turbo after stripping that for powdercoating
Attachments
IMG_2544.jpeg
IMG_2544.jpeg (117.3 KiB) Viewed 70 times
IMG_2359.jpeg

PirateMR2

Post by PirateMR2 »

I had to put new suspension on my rev2 lat November the handling had got a bit unpredictable. I was daily driving it and regularly doing 150 miles In a day. I found that fitting all new stock was just just to expensive. Went with BC coil-overs with the soft springs they offer. Transformed the car. Ride is still pretty decent agree with others on here about not going to low. I set mine to to sensible level based on the factory measurement to the suspension. Did 6000 miles in it over the winter no corrosion showing on the coil overs but I do coat them up every now and then with some ACF50. Rock solid in all weathers. Kept the standard bushes. Fitted new Toyo tyres in stock size. All the claims about lairy handling are because they are worn out or non std wheel sizes. Been out in it today and it still feels great. I am now dailying a new Gr86 so it not like I don’t know any better. I am near sSouthampton if your close your welcome to have a go.
Would love to drive a stock car with all new suspension and bushes mind to see what it’s like. Not sure such a thing exists mind.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

If you can get standard struts (or the ones you have are good) then Apex springs are a very good option.
30mm lower with progressive springing, good ride but firm up when pushing on.
My 1st suspension mod. (along with all suspension and roll bar bushes etc)

BC coilovers are the better choice good ride but much better handling when pushing on.
my 2nd suspension mod .
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Return to “MR2 Discussion”