Second MR2, but first MK1!

Welcome to the club, come and say hello

Topic author
JamesDmk1MR2

Second MR2, but first MK1!

Post by JamesDmk1MR2 »

Afternoon all,

Wanted to say a hello to all fellow owners out there, though a late one at that considering I've owned the car for over seven years! D'oh. In my defence I've worked away in Scotland for a lot of that, then there was of course that covid thing, so the car has rather regrettably lingered in my parents indoor garage. Mind you, the MX5 I took up North instead rusted badly after that (surprise surprise) so probably a blessing in disguise! It has still been used (a little), serviced and had fettling here and there, so definitely not a 'sit around and rot' scenario.

It's my first Mk1 (& ironically the longest I've ever owned a car!) though I had a rather lovely Rev3 Turbo over a decade back. Amazingly it's all on original panels owing to previous garaging (other than its first 3 years of life) and a fastidious engineer owner. Lots of wax-oiling was my over-riding memory when buying it!Though it's certainly no show car, it's decent all round and only has 51k. I'm currently trying to get everything up to scratch for more consistent use, though it will remain fair-weather-only as I have other Jap stuff to use. So I therefore get to enjoy the spoils of corrosion on everything I own! :laughing

I feel the suspension is perhaps a teeny bit tired, so new shocks would definitely be a benefit, though as a whole there's not a whole lot of suspension stuff to do. I'd also like to fit a manual choke kit as that waxstat cold idle is rather a pain. It doesn't hunt or anything though, so at least it's a consistent noise :rolleyes:

One thing that's certainly become startlingly apparent in recent months is valvetrain noise on cold start. I suspected it was valve clearance related and an appropriate check by me has shown that a number of the exhaust valves are either right on the tolerance limit, or have already passed it. The O-ring on the Dizzy is also leaking a bit of oil. Unfortunately I don't have either the special tool to do the shims or a timing light post O-ring replacement. Is there anybody around my area that might wish to be paid to conduct such a job? ;)

Otherwise, as I'm back in my home area properly, always happy to meet similar minded peeps. I'm based in East Sussex btw, down on the coast in Rye.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: Second MR2, but first MK1!

Post by jimi »

Welcome to the club, very nice looking MK1 :th: Headcase (Patrick Chambers) is the man for you, highly regarded in MR2 circles, not very far from you in Bexhill on Sea https://patrickchambersmotorservices.bu ... m=referral You won't go wrong with him :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
JamesDmk1MR2

Post by JamesDmk1MR2 »

Hi jimi, thanks! The same to you, I do often wish I had a red one instead! :laughing

That's brilliant, what a result that Patrick is based only 20mins down the road from me :th: I'll get in touch.

On another note, did I happen to see your name in connection with the 'jimi throttle btracket?' ;) Are you still making these as such?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Yes, I am that Jimi :laughing and yes I still make them. There's more info on them on my website, clicking the image in my signature will take you to it. If your interested PM or email me ;)
Where were you based when you were working up in God's country ? :D

Topic author
JamesDmk1MR2

Post by JamesDmk1MR2 »

I thought it'd be surprising if there turned out to be two of you engineering parts for MK1's :D Superb! Thanks for the info - I'll check it out on your website, though I'd like one for sure! Once the next paycheck comes rolling in, I'll drop you a message :yahoo:

Ah yes, bonny Scotland, I see you're from that neck of the woods? :th: I miss it a lot to be honest, spent most of my time living out on the Hebrides, a number of islands across the whole group, but predominantly Coll & South/North Uist. Otherwise, a good chunk on Orkney (Hoy) and a fair while around the Cairngorms. So lots of remote living in wild coastal spots...good for the tinworm... :shocked:

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

You'll certainly see a difference from the islands to where you are now, one end of the country to the other :D Anywhere up there is death by rust to cars, the salty atmosphere sees to that :no:
I'm a bit further south in the Kingdom, but I've been to quite a few of the islands, I like it up there, I worked with a lot people in my time offshore from those areas.
Spent a fair amount of time on rigs in Invergordon and passed through Sumburgh & Scatsta many many times.
I'd say the remotest island I've been to would be Unst, was there a couple of times :cool1:

Topic author
JamesDmk1MR2

Post by JamesDmk1MR2 »

Oh my, so true! I don't ever seem to work anywhere in the middle! :laughing

To be fair, the south coast is an equally brutal rot enhancer, though driving through a number of Hebridean storm systems really accelerated the MX5's road to rust :bye:

Wow, that sounds a tough gig, bet you've some great stories from the rigs?!

Well, I'll certainly have to concede defeat on the remotest islands as I haven't made it to Shetland as of yet ;)
I did absolutely love the sense of community on the islands though, a cracking good time :cheers:

Had a lot of other Jap motors?

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

When I first started offshore I said I'd give it a year to see if I liked it, that ended up being 31 years :rofl:
Great job, good money, great time off, but not for everyone. Met and worked with many great people from all over the world :th:
So far I've had 4 Jap cars and still have the last 2

Same model/ colour but not my car

The first 3 have something in common (apart from being Japanese) :cool1:

Topic author
JamesDmk1MR2

Post by JamesDmk1MR2 »

Wow, just the 31 years! :laughing :clapping: Love the sound of the time off... :th: Yes, I bet there was an eclectic mix of souls on there! I had a mate who did the training up in Aberdeen (?) but I'm not sure he ended up doing it in the end.

Lots of similarity in our car lineup :cool1: I haven't counted the Jap cars, but suffice to say there's erm, quite a lot!

Mazda 323 GT with the 1.8 Twincam? You may be amused to hear I had the very first GTX Turbo converted 323 (hatch) in the country, the red one below. Twas an absolute rocket, 242bhp & just under a tonne. Occasionally it still pops up in a random dream where I think I still own it :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jimi »

Slightly different models but basically the same cars :th:
The Mazda was a 323F 1.8i 16v GT and the the Silvia was a S12 1.8 Turbo
That's quite a coincidence :cool1:

Return to “Introduce Yourself”