Achill Island

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.

Topic author
mnixon

Achill Island

Post by mnixon »

This is Achill Island off the west coast of Ireland, I spent a day there last year and LOVED it! So, booked into a b&b for the 4 day easter weekend and had a great time, we spent nearly the whole weekend in the 2 driving around, i clocked up over 1,000 kms over the weekend :shock:
I took well over 100 photo's but here's a select few, hope you enjoy! :th:

And some photo's from the drive home along the N59 (my new favourite driving road) dozens on road side lakes all along the way :driving1:

Topic author
mickod

Re: Achill Island

Post by mickod »

Looks familiar to me alrite, im just down the road from it!!

Would be a great spot to organise a Mr2 drive especially if the weather is as good as it looks in the pics!

There is a certain beach near Louisburgh, off the N59, called Silver Strand, where cars can drive out onto when the tide is out, a huge area of hard sand..... would look seriously class with 20 or so Mr2's side by side :cool:

Topic author
GtGore

Achill Island

Post by GtGore »

wow, stunning views there!
really need to start thinking of doing things like this in my 2 :D

Topic author
Stef

Achill Island

Post by Stef »

Do they still have the party over Spring Bank holiday? When I was younger I went camping over there at Spring Bank and they apparently have a long weekend festival kind of thing. I remember being in a bar at 3am or so and some guy goes up to the barman and asked when the bar closed. The barman tells him "feckin September" :yh:

Topic author
mnixon

Post by mnixon »

Stef wrote:Do they still have the party over Spring Bank holiday? When I was younger I went camping over there at Spring Bank and they apparently have a long weekend festival kind of thing. I remember being in a bar at 3am or so and some guy goes up to the barman and asked when the bar closed. The barman tells him "feckin September" :yh:

That doesn't surprise me at all! We were there for Good Friday when it's illegal to sell alcohol but half the pubs were still open, and they stayed open past the legal closing hours too :razz: It's cool how relaxed the whole place is though. And then car got some serious attention, we parked outside a pub to go into the shop next door and an oul fella grabbed us into the pub trying to buy us drinks and have a chat about the car! He made some sleezy comment about my girlfriends "attributes" so needless to say we didn't stay long after that :rofl:

mickod wrote:Would be a great spot to organise a Mr2 drive especially if the weather is as good as it looks in the pics!

There is a certain beach near Louisburgh, off the N59, called Silver Strand, where cars can drive out onto when the tide is out, a huge area of hard sand..... would look seriously class with 20 or so Mr2's side by side Cool
Just say the date and time and I'll be there :th:

SlipSlide
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 4

Achill Island

Post by SlipSlide »

Nice photos, I was only looking on google maps earlier at that area of the country as I think it the only spot on this whole island I havn't been to yet.

Mickod, go to this link http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/ForumsPro/viewforum/f=89.html

Pull up a chair and say hello to the locals. We have a run coming up you will find it stickied there. Welcome to the club.
1995 JDM Anniversary Mrk II, 2000 2ZZ track hack, 1991 ST185RC. etc.

"if it ain't broke don't fix it"
Hiromu Naruse 1943-2010 RIP

Topic author
mnixon

Post by mnixon »

SlipSlide wrote:Nice photos, I was only looking on google maps earlier at that area of the country as I think it the only spot on this whole island I havn't been to yet.
You saved the best to last imo :th: i haven't seen much of the north but i've covered a lot of the rest and Achill is by far my favourite place so far. If your going out there you've got to go to Belmullet and go to Galway on the N59 in one go, it's an awesome drive and the roads are DESERTED, til you reach Clifden anyway :th:

Topic author
GWrinkle

Post by GWrinkle »

How did I miss this thread. Love this island :th:

Ripley
Years of MR2 Ownership: 22
MR2's Owned: 3

Achill Island

Post by Ripley »

Looks fantastic! Can we fit this in? :driving1:

Save the bunnies!

cathalferris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by cathalferris »

My girlfriend's family have a second home on the Island, so I get to spend a fair bit of time up there.
It's one of the best places to be in the sunshine and good weather, but by god it gets bleak on a dark wet drizzley dank damp day. Pick a good forecast day/weekend to go, but try to avoid the 'popular' weekends when every scobe in the country seems to make their way west, annoying locals and tourists alike.

The nicest drive in the region that I have done (albeit in the A4 with a kayak on the roofbars) was from Achill to Belmullet along the N59 and the R313 via Bangor. Great shapes of the road, the most importnat things to look out for are loose sheep on the road - they can leave a nice dent in a radiator or windscreen.

The roads are not the best in quality and if they are damp it's not that fun to drive to and around the island. Maybe I'm just nervous!

(Cheapest petrol at the moment is in Claremorris at the Tesco and another local garage.)

topgun
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by topgun »

cracking pics there mate with brilliant views,only been to Dublin and that was to pick up my first Jap Car a Nissan Cherry. :biggrin:

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”