Procuring new/used wheels for the MR2

Use this forum to find out what fits and to share fitment information and images.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
jmblisse
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Procuring new/used wheels for the MR2

Post by jmblisse »

Hi everyone, first post and looking for some thoughts/advice...

I am on the lookout for a new set of wheels for my Mk2 MR2 which, ideally something 17" so I can get some decent tyres for the foreseeable and have been trying all of the usual places, Facebook Marketplace, eBay and also places in Japan thinking about the possibility to import from somewhere like Croober or Yahoo auction listings but the problem is getting anything staggered in a workable offset for the MR2!

Are there any other places that I should be looking ?

Cheers!

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Re: Procuring new/used wheels for the MR2

Post by _Al_ »

A quick Google throws up this…?

https://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/toyota/mr2

I can’t imagine they sell many of their £6k+ range but there are a few more realistically priced sets on there.

Sure there are many more places. Classifieds on here or other MR2 club sites may offer more options as well.
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
jmblisse

Post by jmblisse »

Cheers for that! I have whittled things down to either Enkei RPF01's or Advan RGiii's in the new category that come in a sensible fitment, but open to other ideas. Ideally though it would be something a bit more period correct, which is where the challenge is. I will post up a few classifieds in members forums and see what comes back. Fingers crossed.

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

OP, I assume you have looked at this - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2/mk2 ... tyres.html
The correct offset is crucial with wider than stock wheels/tyres otherwise they will foul the dampers.

You've got your Enkeis mixed up. There is no such wheel as a RPF-01. It's either RP-01 (long discontinued) or RPF1.
A brand new 17" staggered set of the latter is over £1600 (source: Torque GT).
RG3s will be smidge under £1900 (source: Nengun).
The Enkeis only come in Silver. The RG3s in Gloss Black, Hyper Black, and Gold Metallic. What other colours are in or out for you?

What colour is your car btw? (see - https://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forum/info-mr2- ... aint+codes)
You also mention period correct. What preference, if any, do you have for the number of spokes?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
jmblisse

Post by jmblisse »

I have, the guide has been really helpful and I have been using it as my key reference point.
Good point, I have been looking at so many wheels recently they are starting to merge in my head!

The Enkei RPF1's are on vipmotorsport.co.uk for £1150 which seems pretty reasonable, but the RG3's certainly stand out as being a bit different.

Colour wise I am Rev4 Dark Emerald Pearl (Goodwood Green) and looking for 5/6 spoke ideally.

As an example, this is the kind of thing I keep finding, but then ruling it out on the width/offset being incompatible (https://www.jdmdistro.com/shop/wheels/j ... type-c-26/)

Mike
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Mike »

Some good advice from the guys above. I've just got a couple things to add firstly sadly Crooober do not ship to the uk anymore so you will not be able to buy from there, but buyee.jp do and are supposed to be very similar if you are looking for something from japan. The downside to this is import tax that you have to factor in a lot of the time ive found just as good deal over here but if your looking for something a bit rarer its a great tool. adding to this sites such as nengun and RHDJapan only show item and shipping cost so it doesn't look too much more expensive than something like the RPF1 but then you add taxes and it adds up to be quite a bit more. Having said this I have ran advans rg2's on my mr2 and currently my s15 silvia and the look great and are a bit special compared to RFP1s, even though I do like those too :laughing

Another thing that im sure you will have seen already but worth a mention is the clearance differences between coil overs and a stock style damper and spring. the important thing to think about is have you already decided on your suspension setup or are you likely to change as this possibly open up more wheel and tire options or slim it down.

You may find this website useful I've used it loads when trying to figure out how different tyre and wheel setups would fit willtheyfit.com its free and I've never had any issues.

Hopefully this helps you out a bit.

Topic author
jmblisse

Post by jmblisse »

Thanks Mike. I have seen there are a few third parties that are offering to ship croober but yes you are right, once you add that, HM Revenue and customs getting their teeth into things with VAT and Import Duty, the costs really start to add up.

What sizes were your RG2's in and how did they fit? Did you get them new and do you have any pictures?

I am currently on yellow Bilsteins with H&R lowering springs, coilovers are certainly an option but I am not looking for anything too stiff, but have never sat in an MR2 with coilovers so its hard to say at the minute.If they offer a compliant ride and help with wheel options, I could be convinced.

willtheyfit.com is really helpful, is it a case of using that and 91mr2.com to hone in what is going to be workable?

dansrev2turbo
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by dansrev2turbo »

I bought some wheels from the link below fairly recently. Not that much available at the moment unless you push the fitment a little, but worth keeping an eye if you want more period correct wheels. I didn't get any import charges either, maybe I was lucky but they shipped by DHL.. only royal mail I seem to get stung with.

https://megablastspeedparts.com/en/prod ... 8-79-93%5D

TonyleFrog
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by TonyleFrog »

jmblisse wrote: 05/12/22 13:59 Colour wise I am Rev4 Dark Emerald Pearl (Goodwood Green) and looking for 5/6 spoke ideally.
How about Enkei RP-01s?
If you're not living life on the edge, you're taking up too much room!

HM wrote: TonyleFrog aka "The Fog Penetrator"

Topic author
jmblisse

Post by jmblisse »

Thanks for the link to that site Dan, I hadn't seen those guys before so will keep an eye on if anything interesting comes in. Pushing fitment certainly makes me nervous! Interesting to know on DHL, passing up those charges would certainly be helpful!

Enkei RP-01's would be great, but I am starting to think its now a case of what can you get as opposed to what do you want.

_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

TonyleFrog wrote: 06/12/22 0:03
jmblisse wrote: 05/12/22 13:59 Colour wise I am Rev4 Dark Emerald Pearl (Goodwood Green) and looking for 5/6 spoke ideally.
How about Enkei RP-01s?
…and where, pray tell, might one find a set of those in 2022/2023? I’m all ears! :)
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Mike
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Mike »

jmblisse wrote: 05/12/22 17:36 What sizes were your RG2's in and how did they fit? Did you get them new and do you have any pictures?
Sadly I don't have any photos as it was just for a short time due to a needing to change rear tyres on my other wheels. They where a 17x8.5 et31 iirc but I did have a bolt on spacer and it was very tight even with 225 tyres on them. without the spacer would have been good fitment and you could fit a 245 or something like that. I didn't get them new either found them on FB market place a few years ago.

_Al_ wrote: 08/12/22 23:24 …and where, pray tell, might one find a set of those in 2022/2023? I’m all ears! :)
I have a set I'm not using at the moment... not sure how they would it on standard dampers but specs are 17x7.5 et32 and 17x8 et38

_Al_

Post by _Al_ »

Mike wrote: 12/12/22 12:05
_Al_ wrote: 08/12/22 23:24 …and where, pray tell, might one find a set of those in 2022/2023? I’m all ears! :)
I have a set I'm not using at the moment... not sure how they would it on standard dampers but specs are 17x7.5 et32 and 17x8 et38
Interesting! I’ll see if I have the specs of my old wheels written down anywhere to compare. They were 17s and I’m reasonably sure they were 7.5 and 8 respectively, but I can’t recall the offsets.

Not that I currently have an MR2 to attach them to! The search grinds on…

Edit: confirmed the above dimensions from my notes but I don’t have the offsets anywhere. Do you have any pictures of them fitted?
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
jmblisse

Post by jmblisse »

In the end I decided to import some from Japan, if anyone has any questions feel free to give me a shout.

Went for some gold Advan RG1's in 17x7.5+29 and 17x8.5+37

Tyres will be next, either Pilot Sport 4 or Asymmetric 5/6's

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 1 year and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MR2 Wheels and Tyres”