Was feeling good untill........

For all your MR2 adventures
Please remember that racing on the public highway is both dangerous and illegal.

Topic author
doogle

Was feeling good untill........

Post by doogle »

Hi all, i was feeling really good about my 2 being my first 1 but it seems quick quick so i was happy, nothing was keeping up normal cars i.e beemers audi's etc and not forgetting all the little boy racers,lol untill the other day a 407 kept up no problem i no my cars not boosting right but what the hell is that all about???????????

Snulty
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Re: Was feeling good untill........

Post by Snulty »

lol that sucks, could have been worse tho! could have been some1 on a bike... with pedals... and no legs! :whistling:

How come your car aint boosting properly dude?

you never know what some people have under the bonnet!
SPACESPACESPACE 92' Rev II Turbo

Topic author
doogle

Post by doogle »

not sure why its not boosting right yet need to have a good look at it but here is a link to whats been said so far if u have any ideas after what it says http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/topic.htm ... 2#p1322532 any help would be great

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

doogle wrote:not sure why its not boosting right yet need to have a good look at it but here is a link to whats been said so far if u have any ideas after what it says http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/topic.htm ... 2#p1322532 any help would be great
1) lots of humdrum standard family hacks have some very good engines and set ups.
Not suprised that some appear to be able to keep up when being really pushed.
Remember you have a 20 year old design and engine. Lots have caught up in that 20 years.
2) Think your boost issue has been answered in your other post.
Wrong fuel - now need to reset ECU if not done so already
possible pressure leak as it wont hold stable 10psi - check all hoses etc
If not above then could be turbo starting to fail - bearings usually I think from reading similar issues.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
VTECPOWER

Post by VTECPOWER »

[quote="doogle"]Hi all, i was feeling really good about my 2 being my first 1 but it seems quick quick so i was happy, nothing was keeping up normal cars i.e beemers audi's etc and not forgetting all the little boy racers,lol untill the other day a 407 kept up no problem i no my cars not boosting right but what the hell is that all about???????????[/quote]

you should have spanked it all day long.. do as pete said put expensive petrol in the car reset ur ecu and check for vacum leaks

Topic author
doogle

Post by doogle »

iv got some v-power in, have re-set the ecu but boost is still not right im booking it on the rollers next month and there gonna sort the boost fault :D

d-peg
Years of MR2 Ownership: 13
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by d-peg »

doogle wrote:iv got some v-power in, have re-set the ecu but boost is still not right im booking it on the rollers next month and there gonna sort the boost fault :D
hmmmm, wouldn't want you to stick it on the rollers and have a largely explosive experience. May i suggest popping off the intake pipe to the turbo and check for wear?

- If you have large deposits of oil in the turbo housing, your bearings are on the way out.
- Shaft play; should be no more than a fraction side to side and 1mm in and out.

If the turbo is dying, maybe a good time to find a CT20 or hybrid yours.....
92 JDM Turbo - V8 Project Car - LINK
93 UK N/A - V6 SC Project Car - LINK
00 mk3 2zz - Driven Daily :D - LINK
It's not a party till I get my bum out

badgerbob
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by badgerbob »

realistically (and i never realised it before now) the 407 is actually one hell of a powerful car for what it is, the worst bit to admit that the car that kept up with you was probably a diesel :blush:

compare the torque between the mr2 and 407 (yes i know the mr2's lighter etc ... :p )

but understandable especially if your cars not running right

http://www.parkers.co.uk/cars/specs/Det ... eriv=44830

Topic author
GWrinkle

Post by GWrinkle »

My daily driver is a 407 and its no slouch, but no way would it keep up with a tubby as its only the 140bhp 2.0 turbo diesel .

There is a new one out with a 3.0 V6 turbo diesel. At 237 bhp and 332 lb ft it might give you a run on a carriageway, if your tubby wasnt boosting well. They all handle like boats though :sad:

Topic author
doogle

Post by doogle »

think it must be a v6 then it was in a straight road, the thing is a type r couldnt keep up so either i still have a bit of power of the driver was..... well. lol

Topic author
VTECPOWER

Post by VTECPOWER »

[quote="doogle"]think it must be a v6 then it was in a straight road, the thing is a type r couldnt keep up so either i still have a bit of power of the driver was..... well. lol[/quote]

still though 7.6 seconds to 60 mph, you should have spanked it !! espically if you took on a type r

but then again if you beat a type r and lost against the 407 it could have been modded

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

I do enjoy reading threads like this.

A repmobile kept up with me... :D
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Topic author
MichaelJapp

Post by MichaelJapp »

Just be lucky it wasn't a van.

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

MichaelJapp wrote:Just be lucky it wasn't a van.
Or a family carrier bus...

http://mr2oc.co.uk/forums/45/83845.html?start=0

:search:
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Return to “The Spirited Driving Chronicles”