Aerial problems!

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
savanna87

Aerial problems!

Post by savanna87 »

My aerial has broken.. it doesnt go up or down. Does anyone know where I can get a new one (Toyota want £175) or if a pattern part will fit (if there is one?)

Thanks!

Topic author
JPl123Mk3

Re: Aerial problems!

Post by JPl123Mk3 »

I was after a shorter aerial a while ago and was given this link....

http://www.takubanmotorsports.com/catal ... ucts_id=28

I didn't bother in the end as didnt want the hassle of having to get it delivered to the uk, lazy i know.

Anyway the price i think works out a lot cheaper, and in my opinion, looks loads better.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

It's broken in what way?

Does it make any noise at all ... sometimes the nylon centre goes and you can still hear the motor whirring. You can replace the mast without replacing the whole unit. The mast on it's own is £20-30.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Topic author
ken mckenzie

Post by ken mckenzie »

hi there is one on ebay at the moment bidding is up to £25 if u cant find let me know and i will find the number for you ken

Topic author
savanna87

Post by savanna87 »

Thanks, its broken in the sense that it makes a horrible noise when I turn the radio on and the mast doesnt come up, it does try and sometimes will come out a little. Then once you turn the radio off it make the same noise and the mast doesnt move (if its out obviously).

The one on ebay is from a MK2, will that fit mine?

Thanks

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

Taken from ROC (User name "Liz")

http://www.mr2roc.org/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=21029

Or alternatively you could do as someone did to mine before I got it and fit a "Bee sting" stubby aerial. Looks much better than the bumper car electrical pick up that the MK3 has.

Which looks a little better than stock in my opinion.
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Topic author
StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

That stubby aerial should fit to a MK2 okay too. Is it still the standard aerial base VC? Or has the whole aerial assembly been replaced with something else? Do you have any pictures of the whole unit?

vanilla.coffee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 39
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by vanilla.coffee »

I would not want to say yes as I have no means of comparing them. My car is locked away at work so cannot check at the moment...
They'll take the internet off us if people keep doing this.

Topic author
StuartTheFish

Post by StuartTheFish »

Fair enough, though I'm not after you comparing it to a mk2 aerial, just the mk3 item with yours. There's pictures of a mk3 aerial unit in this thread already, so if it looks any different then we'll know if the whole lot has been replaced or not. Is it visible from the engine bay on a mk3, or does the rear quarter have to be unbolted? If it's the latter, don't worry about it then mate!

My mk2's aerial works fine, but it's annoying having to flick a switch for it to go up and down with my aftermarket head unit! Just looking at alternatives like yours.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Sounds like you just need a new mast.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Michi
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7

Post by Michi »

new mask if it is making a werring noise when it is going up and down, Had to replace mine a while back was aprox £40 from Toyota Direct
the MR2 is more than a car, it's a lifestyle.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”