New to the MR2, after-market roll-cage?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
paramo

New to the MR2, after-market roll-cage?

Post by paramo »

First post here, and new to the mr2 so hi to all of you.

I'm currently looking for a little run about for my few mile commute to work roudn some nice country roads, and have pretty much decided on a mk3 MR2. I have about 4k to spend, so from what i've found i'll be looking at a 2000-2002 mk3. I've noticed there are a few mk3's with roll bar and twin exhausts fitted, im assuming this was an optional extra at the time? I would like to get one with the roll bar both for the protection it offers but also to add some rigidity to the chassis, plus i like the look of it. And im a big fan of the twin exhaust ( especially with a not overdone but slightly throaty tone.)
So what i was wondering is, how easy / expensive is it to install the roll cage and twin exhausts if i was to buy one without?

Thanks for any info, sorry if it's an obvious question. :blink:

Topic author
ZZW30

Re: New to the MR2, after-market roll-cage?

Post by ZZW30 »

1st of all it isn't a roll bar, it's a style bar and offers no protection at all should you roll over.. infact it could be more of a danger if it collapses onto your head. These can be purchased fairly easily, TRD and TTE make them aswell as possibly a few other brands if you are lucky enough to find them (Nets, Davids and Frenzy spring to mind) they bolt in just behind the plastics behind the seats... they don't go all the way to the floor.

The twin exhausts can also be bought easily enough, TTE is the optional extra from Toyota and I used to have the Magnex system on mine, others are available or you could go custom and have one made up to your own spec.

Fitting both will be a bolt on afair, something you could do yourself if your handy with a spanner.

Topic author
paramo

Post by paramo »

O right, So there isn't a functional roll bar available for the mk3?

Topic author
bossman23780

Post by bossman23780 »

Rouge Motorsport make a rollcage for the 2 but thats really for track use plus you need the hardtop and lose the soft top permantly if you chose that ... or theres a functional rollbar made by Harddog in the US and can be bought via P5 here in the Uk but if you planned for using it ever for competiton use the material they use for the bar isnt legal for use in the UK using MSA and FIA rules for the track ... other than that go custom or go for a style bar.

Topic author
paramo

Post by paramo »

lol thats good to know :)

Nah im not gonna be using it for track. I mainly just like the look of it, but also if it's there be nice if it was some use, both for making the car less flexible or in the event of a roll. But i hear what your saying.
I'm looking at a few different cars thinking which do buy, but ideally i'd only really like to spend up to 4k ish unless i can get a real bargin for bit more.

Topic author
paramo

Post by paramo »

Ye :) cheers for advice.

Now i'm wondering wether to up my budget and look for an 03-04 if i dont have to worry bout some of the probs with the earlier ones, and i get a facelift too. Might be worth it.. What sorta cash do you recon to get a newer one in decent nick. i guess miles under 50k round 03 be a good start. It's only money right?.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”