Help, are Toyota pulling a fast one! (MK3 advise)

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

badgerbob
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Re: Help, are Toyota pulling a fast one! (MK3 advise)

Post by badgerbob »

dont pay a penny to them and take the car else where, explain your reasons for refusing payment (as suggested by others) and worst come to the worst take them to the small claims court if they do not accept they are in the wrong.

Topic author
roadsterman99

Post by roadsterman99 »

Just a suggestion but why not ask Rogue or 3S if they would talk directly to Toyota Basingstoke to get the "full story".
That way there can be no BS.

Topic author
teamshocknick

Post by teamshocknick »

i didnt really want bother James or Rouge as its a bit cheeky to ask them when they are not doing the work?

I saw the part they were talking about.

There is a part on the car that has 3 anadosied connectors with a plastic ring that you pull up to release a hose.

one of them they are saying is rusted (it didnt look that bad to me) and that the hose was rusted onto it and had to be broken off. Hes told me that the hose cant be bought seperate and that you need to buy the whole part

i think it was some sort of actuator?!?! if somene can show me a pic i can point out the part

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

teamshocknick wrote:i didnt really want bother James or Rouge as its a bit cheeky to ask them when they are not doing the work?

I saw the part they were talking about.

There is a part on the car that has 3 anadosied connectors with a plastic ring that you pull up to release a hose.

one of them they are saying is rusted (it didnt look that bad to me) and that the hose was rusted onto it and had to be broken off. Hes told me that the hose cant be bought seperate and that you need to buy the whole part

i think it was some sort of actuator?!?! if somene can show me a pic i can point out the part
Could really do with the part number dude :P

Check this mate tell me if you can work out where it is.

http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/g_E_2000_T ... KGQHQ.html

Topic author
Bluesmoke

Post by Bluesmoke »

This is outrageous! Have you got the car out of there with no payment being made?

Is it a UK car? If so, would there not be a record of an engine change with the DVLA? If they can provide proof that no change took place, surely the dealer wouldn't have a leg to stand on?

I'd be terrified of taking my Tubby to Mr T, knowing that it was highly likely none of the mechanics had ever seen one up close!

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

1) Call the garage and tell them to stop working on the car. Tell them you have withdrawn your authorisation for any more work.

2) Ask for a written breakdown of the costs they both anticipate and have already accumulated... both labour and parts including part names and numbers and explanation of why it's been necessary to replace.

3) Check with other experts if they believe these things are necessary/related/believable and then take appropriate action, either leaving the car there or trailering it elsewhere (I personally wouldn't pay their rates to reassemble it).

R.

PS. 4) Wave a big stick at anyone who says they work for Toyota and want to go near your car. It has to be said it sounds like these guys (but granted it isn't yet proven) are at best incompetent and possibly both liars and thieves.

Topic author
teamshocknick

Post by teamshocknick »

I saw the clutch, it was knackered

The reason the car went in first was due to lights on dash which ended up being the lamda

so lamda, clutch and whatever this hose thing is

where can i find a diagram of an MR2 MK3 engine bay? as you look at the pay its tucked down near gear box on left side

Its a unit with 3 anadoised connecters on it?

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

Just re read that first post its an SMT :sad: Seems to be a bit of a mystery to most.

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

Just asked on the Roadster owners club for you got this reply
what I can tell you from that

1, Whats an oxygen filter?
2. If it has VSV it must be a facelift SMT?
3. Replacing the engine would not cause the gearbox to corrode.
4. The gearbox and engine are only attached by 8 bolts, whilst these can be a pain, a main dealer has tehr ight tools and a lift, it can't be that hard
5. For a pipe to cost that much I assume its either the main cat pipe? or the manifold? neither of whihc they need to to touch to remove a gearbox
6. Main dealer labour rates are ciurca £90 per hour, thats probably where the cost is coming from rather than parts

Topic author
GWrinkle

Post by GWrinkle »

Get a second opinion from a qualified independant garage and then get a good solicitor.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

One thing for certain is that they are seriouly taking the P'!

Stick it to 'em, take someone who knows the MK3 and make an appointment to see the service manager. Take minutes from the meeting and then contact Toyota UK with the information and your dissatisfaction with the lies the dealer is telling.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”