Newbie in need of help

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Paul13

Newbie in need of help

Post by Paul13 »

Hi all,

I have had my lovely mr2 for 3 years with no problems until recently.

I have a 2002 roadster and the powered steering has been intermitant the last week or so. There are no warning lights on the dash when driving at all. I have just read previous posts about this problem a few have had but i couldnt see if they were about specific models so thought i would start a new topic in desperation. (Mods/Admin please move this thread if this a problem)

Well a little background on the problem. During the snow my car died, all electrics and door key fob wouldnt work. Checked all fuses and all fine, jumped started the car and was driving home in no time. A day or so later i started to get the powered steering issues and the horn no longer works and the warning noise when leaving lights on when door is open no longer works. Auto electrician tested it today and said this isnt an electrics problem so i contacted Toyota who quoted me £1200 for a new powered steering pump!!!!!! Plus it would be £500 + for it fitting! :crybaby:

Obviously i am gutted and dont have that spare cash under my bed so looking for another other options/advice.

I have tried the turning ignition on and off 15 times as seen in previous threads but no joy with that.

Any help or advise would be greatly recieved.

cheers

paul

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Newbie in need of help

Post by shinny »

Paul13 wrote:Mods/Admin please move this thread if this a problem
Moved into the mkIII technical section for you Paul :th:

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

Hey Paul and welcome. I have to confess that I'm a mk2 boy (though my g/f has a mk3) so can't help with your problem other than to suggest getting in touch with Rogue who have a great deal of experience with the mk3. That said perhaps someone else will be along in a moment with a diagnosis. If not though give Patrick (Rogues boss) a call tomorrow... you'll find them in Kenilworth nr Coventry.
Hope you get it sorted.

R.

Topic author
Paul13

Post by Paul13 »

cheers mate, will check out Rogue and see if they have any spare pumps, sounds like a good place to start and most threads on here i have read through seem to recommend the same.

Hopefully be all sorted soon enough without breaking the bank.

If anyone else has any other options/ideas, would be much appreciated

HighwayStar

Post by HighwayStar »

No worries fella. Still sounds like an electrical problem to me though regardless of what your auto electrician may say. I certainly wouldn't be paying out for a power steering pump till I was absolutely positive that's what it is.
Good luck.

Topic author
FGRob

Post by FGRob »

You might want to take a look at the below thread, similar situation to yours except for the first bit - I hope ;) The second page gives you a better idea of a potential problem / cure.

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/42/128805.html

Rob.

Wabbitkilla
Years of MR2 Ownership: 5
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by Wabbitkilla »

Did your auto electrician check the battery and charging circuit.

Considering this all started with a dead battery i'm wondering if it's just too tired to run everything properly. It does sound electircal to me, but hey - you never know till you replace a few things.

Power stearing pumps are expensive, but you can get all the parts to service them and maybe someone like Rogue can offer this as a service? Not going to be cheap, but cheaper than what you've been quoted so far.
"It's a quiet road - except for the traffic"

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”