Engine mount bolts.

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
r2d2

Engine mount bolts.

Post by r2d2 »

Hi all. I noticed today that one of the bolts that secure the front engine mount has fallen out and only the bottom bolt is left. Its one of the bolts that secure the mount bracket to the gearbox bell housing.

My question is will it be ok to drive with this bolt missing until I can get it sorted or will it be too risky to use it?
I take it the engine will drop if the other bolt comes out?

Thanks. :)

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Re: Engine mount bolts.

Post by Kinsy »

No it's held in with 3 other mounts - front back left and right.

Get it sorted though as the front mount takes a lot of stress when changing gear. You may get away with chasing the threads and putting a new (and i mean new!) bolt in with a load of locktite (This is how mine was mended).

You'l probably find the rubber bush has long since fallen to bits and need replacing anyway - in which case by far the cheapest thing to do is buy poly inserts from ebay. Make sure you measure before you buy as there's 3 different sizes.

Topic author
r2d2

Post by r2d2 »

Thanks for that. :)

The mount rubber doesn't look too bad but I'll get it changed anyway while I'm under there. I'll get my vernier caliper out and measure them. :D I'll get a new bolt from Toyota. I don't want to bung any old bolt in there. :)

Next on the list is gear selector cable bushes. :D

Ingleby
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Ingleby »

Has it has a clutch change, if you don't put them in correct the bottom bolt is a pig to get in, maybe someone has left it out for this reason.

+1 on the bush, I now have front and rear polly bushes in the gearbox mounts and notice a small difference.

I have japspec cable bushes and to be honest didn't notice a difference. A little smoother yes but I put that down to the age of the old ones.

Topic author
r2d2

Post by r2d2 »

It has indeed had a clutch change, about six months ago. I wonder if the mechanic did leave it out? Interesting..........

My cable bushes are really bad at the moment. One has about 4-5mm play in it! :blink:
I was thinking of those JapSpec bushes but I may go Toyota. I'm resisting the skateboard bearing 'mod'. :D

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

Get the poly inserts from JSP.

If you're missing the 'cube' in your linkage you'll get a lot of side to side play in the gearstick.

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

Hasn't JSP finished? I'd love some poly bushes for the selectors but can't find anywhere to get them now.

Sent from Galaxy Note 10.1 powered by Android

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Kinsy wrote:Get the poly inserts from JSP.

If you're missing the 'cube' in your linkage you'll get a lot of side to side play in the gearstick.

I saw a reference to the cube on shinny's project thread, never heard of it before. I have done the JSP shift bushes though. Any more info on the cube? I don't have tons of play, but you can't have too little play IMO.
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

stuMR2lee
Years of MR2 Ownership: 7
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by stuMR2lee »

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 9 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”