Rev 3 rear light bulbs

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Optimus Knight

Rev 3 rear light bulbs

Post by Optimus Knight »

I need a set of 4 new rear tail light bulbs.

I have the JDM rev 3 lights.

Does anyone know what are the best bulbs and the correct fitment type please.

I can't remember which is the correct one.

Car is at the body shop so can't check right now.

looking for best quality please. Are LED ones better??

Thanks

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: Rev 3 rear light bulbs

Post by shinny »

Question... you know the rear lights in your signature are NOT rev3 lights, right? Are you sure you're asking the right question?

Unmodified rev3 lights (import or JDM) will take a pair of 380 21W/5W dual filament bulbs for the outer and a pair of 382 21W single filament bulbs for the inners. (If you were to do the quad tail light mod then that changes to 4x380 bulbs, which is what my car now takes)

I've yet to see a plug-and-play LED bulb that will be any good in the rear lights. My clear indicators have some very high end LED bulbs in (almost £40 a pair from China!) and they are only just on a par with orange tinted filament bulbs. So at the moment I would expect any LED bulb would be a downgrade and I would advise against it.

Topic author
Optimus Knight

Post by Optimus Knight »

Hey Shinny,

Ignore the sig chap, I will update it soon once the car is out of the garage. I have the Rev 3 JDM import lights with quad light conversion already done.

So 4x 380 single filament bulbs required right?

I thought the same about led's i tried a few years back and i wasn't impressed so thanks for confirming that.

Thanks.

shinny

Post by shinny »

Optimus Knight wrote:So 4x 380 single filament bulbs required right?
Only if you're doing the quad mod, which requires extra dual-filament bulb holders to be wired in. If you've not done that then it's 2x380 and 2x382 as I said above.

Topic author
Optimus Knight

Post by Optimus Knight »

Thanks.

When i purchased the lights it had the quad mod already done i was told.

Everything on the loom looked standard to me not sure if different holders have been added, but i will double check.

When the lights are on all 4 rear lights do come on (afterburner style) so this means i do have the quad mod right?

Sorry mate, it's been a while.

shinny

Post by shinny »

OK, the quad mod means that all four lights come on as tail lights as well as brake lights. (This is complicated because the inner two might be wired up as fog lights too) However the important bit here is that if all four act as side-lights then you need 4x380.

Topic author
Optimus Knight

Post by Optimus Knight »

Perfect. Thanks Shinny.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”