3S-GE - Cambelt gone, non interference?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
somersetmister

3S-GE - Cambelt gone, non interference?

Post by somersetmister »

Evening all,

Well sadly my cambelt has let go on my 1996 g-limited, I was under the impression that the engine has a non interference cambelt, so if it goes it does no engine damage.

Anyway trailered the car to my local garage, to be greeted by a new mechanic who said hopefully it wont have done damage, when I said it wont as its non interference he said he had an earlier year model go and cause engine damage.

So my question is my 1996 g-limited non interference and hes getting engines mixed up, or is there a chance the belt going has munched my engine??

Thanks for any feedback.

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: 3S-GE - Cambelt gone, non interference?

Post by shinny »

From the source of all knowledge, wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_S_engine#3S-GE
The pistons are made from an aluminium alloy, designed to withstand high temperatures. An indentation is incorporated into the piston head to prevent the pistons from hitting the valves, should the timing belt break (this is not true of the later BEAMS - an acronym which stands for Breakthrough Engine with Advanced Mechanism System - motors). This is commonly referred to as a "non-interference" engine.
I don't knwo if this was true of the early, low powered 3s-fe engine which the mechanic could be referring to.

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

All MK1 and MK2 engines (bar the BEAMS) are non interference ;)
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
somersetmister

Post by somersetmister »

Thanks for the replies guys, backed what I thought, I can tell the mechanic to stick to corollas :D

Kinsy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4

Post by Kinsy »

If the engine's had a head gasket and been skimmed then the valves can touch.

If the engine was at high revs then the chances of valve damage increase slightly - the more revolutions the pistons make the higher the chances of them touching.

Topic author
somersetmister

Post by somersetmister »

Standard engine and I was going about 15 miles an hour....PHEW

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

There have still been cases of engine damage in non-interference engines. It's not designed specifically to prevent valve damage it's just a handy side effect.

All I'm saying is that if he tells you there are some bent valves it's not necessarily because he's trying to rip you off.
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

3sge's are non interference..well at least the gen 2 imports are, I found that out when I rebuilt mine, at the time I thought the in dents on the pistons were deep so while I had the pistons out I held a piston up against the head with the the valves fully open and they didn't even touch the piston.... this is the beauty of toyota cars their just so well thought about :) clever & sensible Japanese blokes!

Topic author
luke m

Post by luke m »

Are rev 3-5 ones non interference too?

Gr1NcH
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by Gr1NcH »

I had my cambelt go at about 15 mph. Changed belt and drove fine until head gasket let go. Luke at pacific works did the head gasket and noticed some of the valves were bent but he did say may not have been the cambelt going but on a 22 year old car probably just heat cycles and age.
Btw she's running sweet now.

Topic author
baileydom

Post by baileydom »

jimi wrote:All MK1 and MK2 engines (bar the BEAMS) are non interference ;)
luke m wrote:Are rev 3-5 ones non interference too?
As jimi said. ALL Mk1 and Mk2 engines bar the beams.

Sent from my GT-I9100

Topic author
luke m

Post by luke m »

Oh God dam it!!!!

I read rev 1 and 2 not mk!!!!! Ah ha!

Topic author
somersetmister

Post by somersetmister »

Evening all,

Well an update, thankfully the cambelt snapping did not damage the engine and the 2 is running sweeter than ever, but I did discover something interesting at the garage.....

The chap who runs the garage and owns a sonic shadow showed me a computer programme they bought, now I cant remember the name of it but basically it lists every model of car and pretty much every potential job that would need doing, so the owner shows me the listing for a cambelt for a 1995 mr2, it basically shows a diagram of the cambelt, a how to, part details, labour time and says check for engine damage, it states the engine is an interference engine and the snapping of the belt is likely to cause engine damage!!!!!

The owner who is an mr2 nut, says hes had about 10 mr2s in his time with snapped belts and most had some type of engine damage, thats why he was so suprised mine was un-harmed.

Just some food for thought guys

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18

Post by jimi »

somersetmister wrote:
The chap who runs the garage and owns a sonic shadow showed me a computer programme they bought, now I cant remember the name of it but basically it lists every model of car and pretty much every potential job that would need doing, so the owner shows me the listing for a cambelt for a 1995 mr2, it basically shows a diagram of the cambelt, a how to, part details, labour time and says check for engine damage, it states the engine is an interference engine and the snapping of the belt is likely to cause engine damage!!!!!
I believe Toyota's own engine repair manual which is where this quote comes from
TOYOTA 3S-GE, 3S-GTE, 5S-FE ENGINE REPAIR MANUAL wrote:Pistons are made of high temperature-resistant aluminum alloy, and a depression is built into the piston head to prevent interference with the valves.
not some third party software, probably Autodata which is wrong ;)
As a small aside I know for a fact that some versions Autodata give the wrong torque settings for the MK1 cylinder head which has led to several people blowing brand new headgaskets.
Trust the BGB not Autodata :th:
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 7 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”