Power steering to manual conversion

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
GMLive

Re: Power steering to manual conversion

Post by GMLive »

_Al_ wrote:So no steering damper now?
I assume you mean the yellow bumper foam on the bulkhead? that was half missing when I bought the car so just removed it, cant seem to find a new one, my toyota dealer can't get them and second hand ones are going to be fragile like my old one was, I suppose I could make one :)

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

No, I meant this...

Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

The manual racks dont have dampers buddy, only power steering has that, you couldn't even use the power rack damper because the spines are different, dont forget non power racks were rev 1, this is a rack taken from a rev 1

_Al_
Current Model: MK2
Years of MR2 Ownership: 15
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by _Al_ »

Didn't know that. Learn something new every day. I assumed that there'd be more need for a damper in a non-PAS system.
Red 92 turbo tintop JDM
White 95 turbo tintop JDM (Nov '11 Show&Shine Winner)
Red 97 NA tintop JDM
Blue 95 tubby tintop JDM
Mica 96 NA T-bar UK
Red 96 UK NA
Red 97 NA tintop JDM

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

_Al_ wrote:Didn't know that. Learn something new every day. I assumed that there'd be more need for a damper in a non-PAS system.
The only difference ive noticed is manual racks are very direct and not springy feeling as the power racks, the force feedback I get now is brilliant and it tucks in and out of the bends much better, its a good job done

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

My rev2 with a manual rack had one

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

madbasshunter wrote:My rev2 with a manual rack had one
I stand corrected if that is for a manual rack, but I cant see how that U Joint could operate freely because the U Joint operates right with in the hole you have to cut its a lot lower down than power racks version.

Have you got a picture of it on your car because id be intrested to see it.

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Sorry I haven't got a picture in the car as its in my spares in the garage :rolleyes:
I removed it from this 92 fe
The one on the left is from a rev3 with pas and the one on the right from a rev2 manual rack
I will have a look at my rev1 next :confused1:

Topic author
KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi,
This is all VERY interesting to me, as I've always had old Opel Mantas (B & C series) and Asconas (B-series)and fitted the 2.4 quick-racks instead of the standard 3.6 turns item. I do have some meat on my upper-arms, I've always preferred non-assisted to power-steer. I'm converting my Alfa-Romeo 75 to non-assisted, which will also facilitate the supercharger installation I plan for it. My long-winded pre-amble over, I actually have a question - is there a specific power-steering pump on the engine (mine is a n/a Rev 5 'Sonic-Shadow') - and does removing it give any power rise, at all? On the Alfa, a good deal of weight is trimmed, and a handful of horses liberated by removing the power-assistance junk.

madbasshunter

Post by madbasshunter »

Well strangely the rev1 doesn't have one yet the rev2 without pas and rev3 with pas do
so I don't need to keep one for a spare :D

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

madbasshunter wrote:Well strangely the rev1 doesn't have one yet the rev2 without pas and rev3 with pas do
so I don't need to keep one for a spare :D
Yea I thought the rev 1 looked like that, if you look the steering well where the U Joint bolts onto the rack is a lot deeper on none power steering MR2's, PAS mr2's are a lot shallower and because of that there is now way on earth a not power rack steering column with damper would operated because of it's size, you would have to cut a massive hole out if you did want the damper but it would look untidy as you wouldn't find a boot or seal big enough to seal off the off the rack against the body and you would have to do that because the U Joint would be exposed to the elements like dust, water etc, on mine I used a steering gaiter worked a treat.

Topic author
GMLive

Post by GMLive »

KeischiiFan wrote:Hi,
is there a specific power-steering pump on the engine (mine is a n/a Rev 5 'Sonic-Shadow') - and does removing it give any power rise, at all? On the Alfa, a good deal of weight is trimmed, and a handful of horses liberated by removing the power-assistance junk.
As far as I know all power steering pumps on the SW20's are electric and operated with in the frunk buddy.

Having removed everything associated with Power steering including it's ECU's I've trimmed mega weight from the car, I notice the weight difference when driving it's a lot more quicker off the mark and better up hills.... I put all the power steering parts I took off into a bag and you wouldn't believe the weight there, even the power power rack weighs twice as much as the manual :shocked:

Topic author
KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

w0w$er! My eyebrows just raised a full 3 inches! Now all I need is a WickFuts' Guide, with words and ph0t0s, on how to do this right.first.time. - with specific details of what I need to buy (i.e. Rev2 rack and shorter/longer track-rod ends/ball-joints, poly-bushes, etc. etc.) and if you have part-numbers or a reliable source, so much the better - it does seem crazy to me to have power-steer on this car, and weight-reduction? Yes please! I'm fitting a smaller, 11Kg lighter battery in my Alfa when I get it back, but may debut it in the MR2. I'm already feeling the car as lighter having fitted 4.5Kg bucket seats, and I see a pair of fibreglass doors on eBay... This could get obsessive & expensive real quick. ;-)

Topic author
KeischiiFan

Post by KeischiiFan »

Hi Clive,
I've tried to pm you, not sure why it hasn't left my outbox. Yes please on that, and any info you have on whatever else you'd recommend that I need to fit/remove/upgrade in relation to going Manual steering - all advice gratefully recieved. I'll get my work postcode tomorrow and have you send it there.
Cheers, Neal Mc.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 10 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”