How do I connect up A/F gauge and Vacuum gauge?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Re: How do I connect up A/F gauge and Vacuum gauge?

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Bezly wrote:Cheers, yeah I think I will just sell it on.

I have also been doing a bit of reading and am now quite confused on the AF gauge.

Shinny said that I will need to run a wire from the ECU to the gauge.. is that it? Are there any details on this, as I would quite like to do it myself, but have a feeling I might bodge it up!! I read somewhere that the sensor needs to be placed near the turbo??

Cheers

Bezly
AFR gauge sensor needs to be in the downpipe. A Berk DP will have spare ports ? to utilise extra sensors like a wideband or narrowband AFR sensor. If you don't have an aftermarket downpipe you may need to have some welding done to get it fitted.

HM

MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
Bezly
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12

Post by Bezly »

Currently watching this...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151210776264? ... 1423.l2649

This should work, right? Doesn't have any rev specifications on it... so I'm assuming it's a bolt on. (I have read how long it may take).

Cheers

Bezly
98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

Topic author
Bezly

Post by Bezly »

Seems to have the holes for the o2 sensors....

And a 6 bolt flange...

Hopefully this will be able to work with the gauge then!!

Cheers

Bezly
98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

Bezly wrote:Seems to have the holes for the o2 sensors....

And a 6 bolt flange...

Hopefully this will be able to work with the gauge then!!

Cheers

Bezly
I would highly recommend a Berk from GTS Chris that comes with a flexy section. ;)

HM

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

Kiz... the gauge he's bought is a narrowband, not a wideband gauge. It will tap into the car's existing lambda sensor and probably flail around wildly without giving any particularly useful information.

Bezly... Kiz was mistaken with the type of gauge you have. The AFR gauge will not be coming with a sensor so you don't need a knee jerk reaction to get a decat downpipe.

shinny
MR2's Owned: 6

Post by shinny »

This is what your AFR gauge will do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw5TIty2TK4

The only difference is, as the boost and revs build on throttle, the turbo will get richer than shown in that video.

Still, you can't look at that gauge and say "on boost, my AFRs were below 11.5", for example, which is what you get with a wideband AFR gauge. It's possible to get slightly better narrowband AFR gauges that convert the lambda value into a rough AFR, but the type you've bought just shows the lambda value, hence the massive sweeps around stioch.

Howlin_Mad

Post by Howlin_Mad »

shinny wrote:Kiz... the gauge he's bought is a narrowband, not a wideband gauge. It will tap into the car's existing lambda sensor and probably flail around wildly without giving any particularly useful information.

Bezly... Kiz was mistaken with the type of gauge you have. The AFR gauge will not be coming with a sensor so you don't need a knee jerk reaction to get a decat downpipe.
Ahh OK, currently going about the motions with a wideband being fitted myself on my rev3 turbo.

HM

Topic author
Bezly

Post by Bezly »

Just got the gauges through, they look pretty snazzy.

The vacuum gauge has a T in it, and one side wants air coming from the 'pressure regulator', and the other side going into the 'surgeflow'... the bottom off the T obviously going into the sensor.

All seems pretty straight forward, just wondering where I should find out puts from the 'pressure regulator', and the input to the 'surgeflow'.

Nice one

Bezly
98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

jimGTS
Years of MR2 Ownership: 9

Post by jimGTS »

i dont wona cause offence, but both gauges youve bought are a waste of money tbh. im sure you can read between the lines of others posts that say the same.
......Rev4 Tbar Turbo......
______Azure blue______
12.53 @ 114mph = ct20b UK record!
____Project, click me____

Topic author
Bezly

Post by Bezly »

Yeah, that vacuum is fair enough. In all honestly, I just want to know how to set it up so that I can apply the same to the boost gauge... If I understand correctly, the vacuum and boost are set up in the same way.

As for the fuel/air, it's something that I want to set up for a later date.

I will be getting myself an oil temp and boost gauge at a later date, would just like to know how to set these ones up :)

Cheers
98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

jimGTS wrote:i dont wona cause offence, but both gauges youve bought are a waste of money tbh. im sure you can read between the lines of others posts that say the same.
Have to agree with jim here I'm afraid

Seriously, don't bother with the vacuum gauge, it won't tell you anything of any use.
They are only of any use for an non turbo engine, and even then there are other gauges that will be more useful, oil pressure and temp etc...

Seeing as you have a turbo, you are most interested in the pressure of the compressed air that the turbo produces when it kicks in.
Turbo engines do still have vacuum at idle, and under light throttle conditions without any boost, and hence your boost gauge will read both sides of zero for you, making the vacuum only gauge you've just received redundant.

As for the AFR gauge, shimny rightly points out that it is limited in terms of what it can tell you, this is because the 0-1 volt range is very narrow, hence the name narrowband. A wideband uses a 0-5 volt range and can therefore offer you a far more accurate reading, and you don't get tbe wild flailing around as seen in shinnys video.

I'd keep the boost gauge and sell the afr/vacuum combo on.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Topic author
Bezly

Post by Bezly »

Cheers, for the info.

Guess I should have asked before buying them, was kinda eager to get a boost set up as I'm in the process of swapping my stock one for the voltmeter.

Oh well, will see if I can make some money on it.

Cheers
98' Cosmos Rev5 N/A

2013-2015
93' Red Rev3 Tubby

2007-2009
91' White Rev2 N/A

madmr2man

Post by madmr2man »

No problem mate.

I can understand you wanting a boost gauge quick, I've done the voltmeter mod on my own tubby :D

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”