fueling...whats the basics?

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
badgerbob
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Re: fueling...whats the basics?

Post by badgerbob »

Sorry about the late response peeps,
jimGTS wrote:error codes?? if EML is on, it should read a code no?

i run a mix or water and meth, ive had no problems. (same as many who have run meth)

do you have it injecting at a set boost level?? perhaps turn up that level so only injects at say 1bar?

i have heard of fpr diaphram going, but very rare imo.
You would think so but nope, took this video just before it failed to start completely,
http://s456.photobucket.com/user/badger ... 2.mp4.html

problem now is where the codes have been reset, I can't get it running to get any codes of if that makes sense, meth is set to inject at 9psi and I had tested this to make sure it wasn't kicking in early, to rule it out completely though its all disconnected at the moment anyhow :sad:
sinjen wrote:When mine started hesitating the first thing Nath tested was the FPR. Apparently they go fairly regularly.
Good to know bud cheers :th:
fingers99 wrote:Assuming a conventional methanol/water injection kit, then there's no way the FPR would see the methanol.

But FPR would be my guess.
With the meth atomised under boost in the intercooler the whole system is under pressure so potentially a small amount that could get to it (and agreed it would be bugger all)
chaos19810 wrote:I had a issue where by the car ran rich, it had a stutter like a mini fuel cut and it felt like the timing was out and replacing everything I could think of it turned out the TPS had given up the ghost and that was to blame for all my problems
That was one of the very first things I swapped over bud, symptoms at the time was very similar :sad:
fingers99 wrote:
but when it was running it was running incredibly rich, i.e. plumes of black smoke which makes your eyes hurt
Now, here's a silly thought. If the meth kit wasn't set up right, so that you were getting meth off boost, you'd have a mixture that was over-rich (you still need O2 to burn the meth). This might result in black smoke from unburnt petrol, but IIRC, part burnt methanol can form formaldehyde -- this will certainly make your eyes sting -- it can even kill you. Does it have a very distinctive smell?
MRturboTom wrote:Fuel pressure is 38-40psi nearly 3 bar I suppose...

Can you remove the meth kit out of the equation?
As above, meth kit is all disconnected now :th:

The car is now in the garage as I slimy don't have the time, if they fail to diagnose it I may suggest to them to check out the fuel pressure regulator :th:

MR2DI4
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 23
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by MR2DI4 »

This is where the likes of a few gauges are useful. Fuel pressure is of particular importance when you start modifying your car and should be fitted before an aftermarket boost gauge which is next to useless but looks great.

As someone pointed out the fuel pressure in your MR2 is not controlled or even monitored by the ECU. A gauge checks your entire fuel system from filter, pump, fpr and vac lines etc and you can instantly rule out any issues in this area with one fitted with the sender for it mounted on the end of the fuel rail.

The next useful gauge is AFR, this allows you to instantly see 14.7:1 in closed loop driving at a constant throttle down the motorway and a value that goes above and below this at idle. From this you know your O2 sensor is working and your ECU is getting all the required inputs to control the injectors so the end result is a car running sweet.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by Howlin_Mad »

If the FPR is faulty, what are the symptoms? Hesitation I know has been said already...

And what are the consequences on the engine?

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Howlin_Mad wrote:
And what are the consequences on the engine?

Death!

If the knock sensor doesn't save you and it causes lean running, death from det.

If it runs over rich, slow, lingering death from bore wash.

dawesy
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by dawesy »

Bob have you checked the circuit opening relay. You may have two faults.
Just had mine go. Car would crank fine but no sign of life. Checked the ignition system- fine. Did a test on the MoTec to check the coil was firing ok- it was. Did a test on the injectors- they were working fine. Finally tested the voltage at the fuel pump which was fine with ignition on but went to 0v when cranking.
Checked the wiring diagram and found the COR has two coils. One for ignition and one for cranking. The cranking coil had failed on mine. Worth checking as like I say you may have one fault with the rich running and one preventing starting.
Check the wiring for the map sensor and the map sensor itself. If this has failed the ecu will use a default setting for fuel ( usually very rich. )

Chris_D
Years of MR2 Ownership: 1

Post by Chris_D »

If the garage don't diagnose it in a sensible time, give me a shout & I'll pop over. Easiest way is plug in the link ECU I have then with a laptop can test everything individually.
I now have a little time having got my own transport sorted (just bought cheap clio).

Topic author
badgerbob
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by badgerbob »

Bit of a thread revival...
dawesy wrote:Bob have you checked the circuit opening relay. You may have two faults.
Just had mine go. Car would crank fine but no sign of life. Checked the ignition system- fine. Did a test on the MoTec to check the coil was firing ok- it was. Did a test on the injectors- they were working fine. Finally tested the voltage at the fuel pump which was fine with ignition on but went to 0v when cranking.
Checked the wiring diagram and found the COR has two coils. One for ignition and one for cranking. The cranking coil had failed on mine. Worth checking as like I say you may have one fault with the rich running and one preventing starting.
Check the wiring for the map sensor and the map sensor itself. If this has failed the ecu will use a default setting for fuel ( usually very rich. )
Car manages to start but stutters so I guess that rules out those out :(
Chris_D wrote:If the garage don't diagnose it in a sensible time, give me a shout & I'll pop over. Easiest way is plug in the link ECU I have then with a laptop can test everything individually.
I now have a little time having got my own transport sorted (just bought cheap clio).
appreciate the offer buddy, I shall wait and see how the garage get on (yup its still in there at the mo :crybaby: )

It was previously mentioned that fueling is adjusted via the coolant, air temps/revs/speed/manifold pressure. Are there any other parts that would effect this.

garage is currently fitting a new FPR, fuel rail and injectors, If that fails im just thinking what else I can try and replace?

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”