Smoking rears

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
N52

Smoking rears

Post by N52 »

Just saw these in a project thread, can anyone advise me how they are done? It looks like the middle section red parts have been popped out, or cleared? Or are these just a complete custom job? They look clear in that picture but when put back on it still has the red brake/fog lights come through.

Only asking because I want to gloss black my rears but keep the brake/fog sections in oem red colour
Attachments
masked and sprayed.jpg
masked and sprayed.jpg (30.28 KiB) Viewed 80 times

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Re: Smoking rears

Post by peteV6R5 »

N52 wrote:Just saw these in a project thread, can anyone advise me how they are done? It looks like the middle section red parts have been popped out, or cleared? Or are these just a complete custom job? They look clear in that picture but when put back on it still has the red brake/fog lights come through.

Only asking because I want to gloss black my rears but keep the brake/fog sections in oem red colour
you can buy a smoke paint
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VHT-BLACK-NIT ... 4171bb19a0
- looks like it has been used on these - see the reflectors are even covered. - they have not been cleared of red 1st - you can still see the tint showing through.

not a good job IMO - needs to be done very well to look good.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Topic author
N52

Post by N52 »

See I do have that smoke tint and I have smoked my front indicators already, It just looks like in that picture they are see through? When I took my rear lights off you couldnt see through the red section, in that picture you can see the cloth on the other side as if the midde sections have been removed or see through?

On the attached I smoked my fronts and depending how you apply it will make them completely black or smoked, but not see through like the middle of those lights :s
Attachments
556856_10202211072735858_17936022_n.jpg

Topic author
N52

Post by N52 »

Double checking they are from 'BrianJW''s project thread, you cna see the lights here

http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/forums/125/139856.html?start=112

I can't pm or post on that forum to ask how it was done :facepalm:

But as you can see...When the lights are put back on the red sections are completely unsmoked...
Attachments
light back on.jpg
light back on.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 74 times

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

it's masking tape

Topic author
N52

Post by N52 »

HAHAHA, oh my goodness you're right!... :rofl:

You know when you look at something for so long and stop seeing whats right infront of you.. :facepalm:

chris
Years of MR2 Ownership: 16
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by chris »

N52 wrote:HAHAHA, oh my goodness you're right!... :rofl:

You know when you look at something for so long and stop seeing whats right infront of you.. :facepalm:
:laughing

jimi
Administrator
Administrator
Years of MR2 Ownership: 18
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by jimi »

N52 wrote: I can't pm or post on that forum to ask how it was done :facepalm:
Easy sorted ;) http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/login-new-accoun ... grade.html
Black is not a colour ! .... Its the absence of colour

Topic author
Olly.Dent

Post by Olly.Dent »

I smoked my rear lights but only the indicator part as I think rev3+ Lights smoked all over look wrong.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”