Engine cutting out

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

fingers99

Re: Engine cutting out

Post by fingers99 »

Do check the codes -- it's your best bet of an early resolution.

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

1995blackrev3 wrote:Looked into the process of checking but bottled it at the last minute lol
LOL, it's easy. Is you're car up this way? I'll show you if you like.

chaos19810
Years of MR2 Ownership: 2
MR2's Owned: 3

Post by chaos19810 »

It's only a paper clip your'll be fine!! :th:
Mr2 G limited (gt-s engine) broken but fun
Mr2 uk 156 bhp - in bits
Mr2 gt 170bhp - with the parents
http://mr2turbo.wordpress.com/
If its broken hit it with a hammer if its still broken get a bigger hammer

Topic author
1995blackrev3
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0

Post by 1995blackrev3 »

So, after much looking and a crooked back I managed to see the coolant temp sensor. Didn't appear to be an issue with it however gave it a wiggle anyway. Not really much movement and there's was no signs of anything out of place. Left the car for a while to cool down and the problem seems to be slightly less of a problem. I'll see what it's like in the morning, fingers crossed it won't have went backwards. If it's the same do I just swap it out?

fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

And the paper clip?

I've yet to be able to diagnose a coolant temp sensor by looking at it! ;)

Topic author
1995blackrev3

Post by 1995blackrev3 »

Rick, the car and I are based in warrington, where you at as I'd live to take you up on the offer.

Fingers, I would have no idea if you could diagnose anything visually or not.

The car seems to be running loads better today. No where near what it should be tho :/

Topic author
1995blackrev3

Post by 1995blackrev3 »

Whilst at work today a guy I work with had a quick look at the car. He looked at it as I turned it on whilst cold and disconnected the tps, the engine ran fine. When he plugged the tps back in the revs dropped off and the engine died.

So it seems to work fine without.................does this help with the diagnosis?

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

1995blackrev3 wrote:Rick, the car and I are based in warrington, where you at as I'd live to take you up on the offer.
I'm just up the road from you then, just past Haydock.

No problem giving you a hand.

Topic author
1995blackrev3

Post by 1995blackrev3 »

Error codes have been checked with help from Rick.

Only one error code - 41.

Had a little play about and drove home after clearing the code.

MPG is back up now so that's a little easier on the wallet. Checked for error codes when I got home and none were showing - constant flashing light.

Planning in checking for error codes each evening through the week (perhaps in the morning dependant how early I get up before work). If nothing shows then the issue should be sorted, right?

RickMcRick

Post by RickMcRick »

I was thinking after you left.

The error 41 was probably still stored from when you'd disconnected the TPS and not due to your problem.

I might just be temped to slap a new coolant temp sensor in there

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COOLANT-TEMPE ... 2c67753b2a

Topic author
1995blackrev3

Post by 1995blackrev3 »

Rick,

I spoke to Toyota the other day to find out how much a TPS would be and they were messing me about so called MR2ben. After a brief conversation that's the same thing they said lol. I'm gonna take it down to them and they'll investigate it more me and let me know what the price is going to be. It's not gonna be there until mid Feb so will try to find out how to change the coolant temp sensor in the meantime

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 3 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”