stiff gearbox

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8
MR2's Owned: 3

stiff gearbox

Post by notroubleclubber »

When my rev 2 turbo is first started I find my gear shift is quite stiff compared to when it's warmed up.
Is this normal?

sykesMr2

Re: stiff gearbox

Post by sykesMr2 »

Does this with mine even with fresh oil too

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

sykesMr2 wrote:Does this with mine even with fresh oil too
Does this with my Rev3 turbo too. Using Redline MT90 here.

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

It's pretty common. When the oil in the gearbox is cold (and it can only get warm from the transfer of heat from the engine and by actually doing work itself) moving the gears into mesh requires more effort than when the oil is warm and thinner. My MR2 is like that, my Volvo is like that, and my mates Alfa 155 was very like that.

There's a pump in the turbo boxes and a pipe which could be linked to an oil cooler (basically for the rally cars). But if you fitted something like a water/oil cooler (Laminova, etc.) you'd get gearbox oil at water temperature, which would probably be ideal (but rather expensive).
Last edited by fingers99 on 30/01/14 21:56, edited 1 time in total.

Howlin_Mad
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10

Post by Howlin_Mad »

fingers99 wrote:It's pretty common. When the oil in the gearbox is cold (and it can only get warm from the transfer of heat from the engine and by actually doing work itself) moving the gears into mesh requires more effort than when the oil is warm and thinner. My MR2 is like that, my Volvo is like that, and my mates Alfa 155 was very like that.

There's a pump in the turbo boxes and a pipe which could be linked to an oil cooler (basically for the rally cars). But if you fitted something like a water/oil cooler (Laminova, etc.) you'd get gearbox oil at water temperature, which would probably be ideal.
Gotta say, it's only noticeable in the current temperatures. 2 degrees leaving work tonight. In the past I've always used the Auto when it looked pretty cold, as the V6 was not too happy in snowy conditions with the torque it had low down!

HM
MGB GT For Sale// JDM Rev3 3VZ-FE V6

Topic author
notroubleclubber
Years of MR2 Ownership: 8

Post by notroubleclubber »

Mine probably needs an oil refresh (only done engine oil recently) but it's good to know that mine isn't the only one.
MOT in a few weeks then a pampering for the old girl if she does well.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”