My boot's full of water

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
Important ! - Please make your topic title as descriptive as possible . titles with just "help" generally dont get as many answers as a title that points to the problem
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Heslop

My boot's full of water

Post by Heslop »

I've just noticed that the carpet in the bottom of the boot of my new rev 3 is absolutely sodden. From a bit of reading, it sound's like it's probably coming in through the holes through which the spoiler's bolted on. Is there anywhere else it could be coming in?
Thanks, Simon

gazza1286
Years of MR2 Ownership: 4
MR2's Owned: 1

Re: My boot's full of water

Post by gazza1286 »

The more likely answer is that your inner wheel wells are perforated with rust. Pulling the carpet away from each quarter wwill confirm this.

Topic author
Olly

Post by Olly »

Check the rubber grommet behind the carpet on the firewall through which the ECU cables come through.

peteV6R5
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 2

Post by peteV6R5 »

All 3 are possibilities

Check your boot lid to spoiler seals - has it had a respray as some people don't put them back toge the properly.

Agree with Olly check all grommets from engine bay to boot/

and yes the rear of the arches could be leaking

The last 2 the easiest thing is to put the boot carpet out anyway to dry it.
Withe the carpet out you will be able to see all the places mentioned and do all 3 or find the culprit.
Another answer is one I suffer from and that is condensation forming on the boot and frunk lids (not a daily driver). Worth checking that out as well - I keep mine dry with absorbent material, change regularly.
Highland Drive 13/14/15/17/18/19
JAE 07/09/10/11/12/13/14/15/16/17
Japfest 09/11/12/13/16/19
Wales runs 14/15/16/17/18

Tallboy
Current Model: None
Years of MR2 Ownership: 17
MR2's Owned: 5

Post by Tallboy »

Is there not a drain pipe on the ariel to? If its not fitted in the correct hole can leak to?
MK2 REV3 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 95 TURBO Reborn!!!..... now in Dawesys hands getting 2GR love
MK2 REV4 NA R.I.P
MK2 REV3 96 TURBO
MK2 REV3 NA AUTO Reborn!!...... Now in Mikes hands getting boosted!

thosb10
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 1

Post by thosb10 »

If you look into my post of last year "roll on the 1st of April" you will see what happens when the wheel arches are attacked by the rusty bug. As said earlier in this post the aerial drain pipe was adrift on my 2 when purchased. But do not loose heart 'Katie' went on to win the OC March 2013 show and shine after refurbishing.
Vehicles are just like a giant Meccano set and should not be feared, but respected

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 10 years and 2 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK2”