tubby convert

Considering a turbo or V6 conversion then use this forum
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
Kiefer

tubby convert

Post by Kiefer »

hi guys, im picking up a celica st165 turbo engine to fit into a mr2 out of all the information i have, i have a few questions based on the rev mr2 i buy,

im keen to buy a rev3 t bar, the thing is for the conversion il be using (i think) a gen 2 ecu and loom, what im wondering is presuming the loom and ecu runs the engine, if i have all the features on the rev3 like power steering, ABS and any other goodies it has (unsure of which rev has what) but will the ecu from the gen 2 run it all or is it all run by say another system on the mr2 itself?

also i will be fitting a SMIC as allegedly fitting the WTAC would be a nightmare to wire in using the loom il have and id rather avoid as much wire chopping as possible, so does having a newer or older rev mr2 make any difference with being harder or easier fitting a SMIC?

i will say not that i see it making much difference i am adamant on having a t bar

shinny
Years of MR2 Ownership: 12
MR2's Owned: 6

Re: tubby convert

Post by shinny »

OK, you'll find that most system on an MR2 are relatively separate. The engine ECU is involved in very few other systems... it provided idle-up for the aircon system and that's about it. There are links between it and the PAS and the engine bay / intercooler fan, but these are not important and can simply be cut.

Here:s a good guide to the differences between the mk2 revisions: http://www.mr2oc.co.uk/know-your-2-know ... bartid=102

For me, I've only owned rev3+. My reasons for that are the side impact protection (although some rev2s have that), the improved engines and single piece spoiler (never liked the three piece one, and welding up the holes left to get rid of it isn't my idea of fun). However it's your car and your money so it's your choice.

As I said on the other thread, there is absolutely no reason why the rev3 MR2 ECU would be a nightmare with a charge cooler. As the MR2 never came with a chargecooler, it's ECU can't control the pump and therefore you just wire the pump into the ignition and you're done! The ECU doesn't get involved. However I also said that the SMIC install will be easier.

The only potential issue I can think of is the ST165 throttle body. Do you know what size it is? You will ideally want to swap the rubber throttle body sock for the metal one from an MR2 gen2 3s-gte engine which should allow a bolt-on install... however that will only work if the throttle body size is the same between the ST165 and ST185/early MR2. If not, you might need to get more creative on how to connect the intercooler to the intercooler cold pipe.

shinny

Post by shinny »

No, wait, I tell a lie. Won't the MR2 intercooler pipes interfere with the alternator position on the ST165 engine?

Topic author
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

shinny wrote:No, wait, I tell a lie. Won't the MR2 intercooler pipes interfere with the alternator position on the ST165 engine?
ah yes there was mention of alternator position! i will when i get home as i dont have access to facebook from work, paste in the notes from the conversation with the owner of the 165 conversion with all the details of what he did and didnt do and why as theres a lot of good info :th:

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

I would presume you can reposition the alternator using the mr2 alternator bracket.

shinny

Post by shinny »

madbasshunter wrote:I would presume you can reposition the alternator using the mr2 alternator bracket.
Agreed - although you'll probably need to modify the loom :th:

Topic author
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

nooo not touching the loom il stick with SMIC! lol WTA does look pretty cool tho... decisions decisions

shinny

Post by shinny »

Kiefer wrote:nooo not touching the loom il stick with SMIC! lol WTA does look pretty cool tho... decisions decisions
You misunderstand. Going SMIC probably means relocating the alternator which, in turn, might mean modifying the loom.

Topic author
Kiefer

Post by Kiefer »

oh i see, oh dear

tbh il go for the easiest and least expensive route so if the WTA comes with the engine then il just do that, and maybe SMIC later, should of held off with all the questions till i was in possession of the engine, my bad

madbasshunter
Years of MR2 Ownership: 0
MR2's Owned: 10

Post by madbasshunter »

shinny wrote:
madbasshunter wrote:I would presume you can reposition the alternator using the mr2 alternator bracket.
Agreed - although you'll probably need to modify the loom :th:
:facepalm: of course used an mr2 engine loom on mine

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 9 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “Engine Conversions”