Shall I get an MR2???

This section is for technical Q & A
Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Forum rules
Many subjects will have been discussed before. Please try the search function before starting a new thread.
Check in the Know Your 2 as the information you need may already be there.
The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Topic author
kentsmudger

Re: Shall I get an MR2???

Post by kentsmudger »

Don't buy the car with rust over the windscreen until you have at least seen one like the much nicer e-bay face-lift that Ilogik linked to.

How many roadsters have you looked at? I looked at quite a few before settling on mine - you will find better than this car out there for that money - Ilogik just proved it.

BTW a replaced catalytic converter is a warning sign on these. If you read the pre-cat info you will find the story - Pre-cats break up and may get ceramic particles into the cylinders, causing engine failure. The majority of the pre-cat material however will continue down the exhaust pipe and block up the main cat!

This blockage causes excess back-pressure and along with the ceramic particles already in the cylinder accelerates engine failure - Get a really good explanation from anyone who is selling a Roadster with any cat or pre-cat work in it's history.

Don't mean to scare you off, these are great cars, but it is a golden rule of car-hunting - Don't buy the first car you see!

Good luck!

Protok
Years of MR2 Ownership: 11
MR2's Owned: 4

Post by Protok »

kentsmudger wrote:Golden rule of car-hunting - Don't buy the first car you see!
Lol I tried to follow that rule but in the end I just ended up going back to the first car I saw and bought it.

Good Luck dude but I would go take a look at the 1 iLogik suggested, seems much better deal and has less wrong with it than the 1 you have been seeing.
Red "Iron Guts" Protok
JAE '11 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '12 Food Eating Contest Champion
JAE '13 Food Eating Contest Runner-up
JAE '14 Food Eating Contest Champion

MR2Jay
Years of MR2 Ownership: 10
MR2's Owned: 7

Post by MR2Jay »

Not knowing too much about the MK3, I can't really comment on the Pre-cat problems but I can advise about the rest.

Regardless of it being the first one you have looked at or not, the car is obviously showing some warning signs that would make me VERY cautious. You are about to part with a LARGE amount of money and you'll want to make that money work for you.

For example, the rust above the windscreen would worry me personally. You are about to part with £5,500 for a motor and for that you could get an older model without these issues. I have a 1992 MK2 that has no sign of rust anywhere on it, and that is 10 years older than the one you are looking at buying (there are other inherent problems with mine but we won't go into that ;) )

Shop around, Mark and Al (Ilogik) know their stuff with these MK3's.......My advice would be to listen to them and you'll end up with a car that will last and not be a disappointment.
1993 Revision 3 Turbo - Restoration Underway

Topic author
spaghettihoop5

Post by spaghettihoop5 »

Cheers guys. Though it maybe a little too late cos I've put the deposit down... :( Though the ebay one did look nice, I can't travel too far to get it and this one is in my area. Plus, I was looking for the black with red seats and with a hard top and full Toyota service history, which is all that this one is. So I'm happy with it.

But I hope it isn't a costly mistake which is how I feel now that I've read your comments.................

The rust is only small (a stone chip size) and doesn't really bother me. It's gonna get tidied up by them, but I used to sort out all my rust patches on my old vw polo and it's no bother.

The car is getting a service before I get it. If I get the pre-cat removed, should I get another oil and filter change or will it not need it?

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

spaghettihoop5 wrote:Cheers guys. Though it maybe a little too late cos I've put the deposit down... :( Though the ebay one did look nice, I can't travel too far to get it and this one is in my area. Plus, I was looking for the black with red seats and with a hard top and full Toyota service history, which is all that this one is. So I'm happy with it.

But I hope it isn't a costly mistake which is how I feel now that I've read your comments.................

The rust is only small (a stone chip size) and doesn't really bother me. It's gonna get tidied up by them, but I used to sort out all my rust patches on my old vw polo and it's no bother.

The car is getting a service before I get it. If I get the pre-cat removed, should I get another oil and filter change or will it not need it?
Mate I hate to say this your are either naive or insane, please please please shop around! I would not part 5.5k for a stock pre facelift car. Only time id buy a pre facelift car if it had lots of toys, or was a rare monocraft car.

If you tell me your going to put on finance as well I will personally set you on fire, I know not everyone can afford to buy out right, but why buy a car that is already over priced then pay back even more money.

SILVER WITH HARDTOP 43K On clock red leather seats 4.5k
http://cgi.ebay.co.ukA/2002-TOYOTA-MR2- ... 1369wt_962

Black hardtop 4.5k with best offer, offer 3.8k and work from there, some people are desperate to sell atm.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Toyota-MR2-Roadst ... _892wt_962

Topic author
iLogik

Post by iLogik »

spaghettihoop5 wrote:Cheers guys. Though it maybe a little too late cos I've put the deposit down... :( Though the ebay one did look nice, I can't travel too far to get it and this one is in my area. Plus, I was looking for the black with red seats and with a hard top and full Toyota service history, which is all that this one is. So I'm happy with it.

dealer services make me laugh lol, are you buying it from toyota? What does the service include? brake pads, oil. filter, fuel filter? Air filter, spark plug? now this is one to check, and they tend to think people who buy from a dealer are a little too innocent so tend to rip you a new bum hole.

Walk away buy a cheaper car and lose your deposit and will probably still work out cheaper than buying that car :laughing

P.s dealer warrantys half the time are not worth the paper they are printed on.

Quick Reply

The forum Administrator has chosen to advise you that this topic is 14 years and 5 months old and that you may wish to begin a new topic or use the search feature to find a similar but newer topic.

Return to “MK3”