MK2 sill repair

Topic author
RSTA

Re: MK2 sill repair

Post by RSTA »

^^ Yip but when we looked at it again we thought it could be used over pretty much anywhere along the length OK -you would just have to make the turn-in at the end if used at the arch. The rear section of the sill is on the rear quarter panel which joins at the roof and somewhere between the rear light clusters. Seems crazy that nobody's made an arch / sill repair panel for the SW20 yet -I don't think I've seen a MK2 yet which hasn't rusted to some extent there yet. There was a guy offering to do them at one point but if I recall he got knocked back saying there wouldn't be enough demand.

...That's a bit academic I guess if you have to do the full length though.

Nice to see a job being done properly :th: When we ripped mine out one side had about 6 loose plates inside and the other side about 2. Previous perpetrators had just pushed the old broken repair plates in and tacked a new one on top and just filled over again! The last repair on mine was done the week before I viewed the car as well (all sorted properly now though).

Topic author
weight

Post by weight »

Templates would be cool. :th:

Topic author
devilsson

Post by devilsson »

spot on mate i just been told mine will need doing soon so saving this thread lol

what i would like to know is were did u buy all the stuff from IE what shop

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi devilson, I bought the 2'x2' 20 gauge mild steel sheets to fabrocate the parts from a local motor factors, the fiesta and KA sills were also bought there.
The sills are from a company called Hadrian panels.

Just been thinking about the way that I have approached the problem with the sill fitting. I think I'll have a go at redesigning the rear inner area, I'll cut this area out and start again.

I'll try the Fiesta sill again but without the rear inner area in, I think this is causing the sill to be pushed out in this area.

After the sill has been clamped into position I'll then clamp the inner part in, take the sill off and weld the inner part on, then hopefully the sill will fit and be ready to weld on. What I would like to achieve is the Fiesta sill to fit with the minimum of distortion and fabrication, I'll let you know how I get on!

Topic author
weight

Post by weight »

Take Some more pics, good to have a complete guide from start to finish :th:

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Been grinding the back inner section out today, it took some getting off with it being new metal!

Been looking at the fiesta sills again, tried bending it to the profile but it still doesn't fit as I'd like it to. The Ka sill has more metal to play with, but there's a lot more work involved getting the right bends especially the top fold.
The rear of the sill doesn't stick out now since this the inner part has been cut out, so I'll re-fabricate this area once the sill is fitting properly.

Not being happy about the way the fiesta sill was fitting I decided to take the original section that I cut out from the 2 to the motor factors and see if there was anything closer.
Really helpful chaps at the motor factors found Mk2 fiesta sill (up to 1989) that's just no way going to fit, they also brought out the Mk3 fiesta sill (1989 up to god knows) which I've already tried.
Then there was one that had a similar profile to the original but with a squarer curve if there is such a thing! they said to take it and see how it goes.

I found fitting was a lot easier, no bending to get that curve, just had to shape the front a little to match the front original part of the sill. Have a look at these pic's and let me know if you think it looks cr@p or not.

Now this sill is the n/s part for the car that it's off so it's back to front, but as you can see it's folded just as the bottom lip at the rear finishes, will the strength in this sill be better that the original?.

Topic author
weight

Post by weight »

It would certainly fit by the looks, just a pity it has the two creases in it.
I suppose its a case of fitting whatever you can find thats as close as poss to the profile/width etc you need. if that doesnt quite look oe then so be it.

Still watching with interest :)

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

The above sill belongs to a Astra Mk1 4 Door.

Been looking at another sill again, have a look at these pic's and let me know what you think.

Not too far out.

Cut the ends off.

Used masking tape as a guide to cut along the top edge.

All trimmed.

Trial fitting.

This belongs to a Suzuki not sure which one but here's a pic of the stickers on the sill.

It needs some trimming and it does need the bottom lip bending to the right angle, the bottom of the sill will also need pushing up to meet the part it gets welded to.
I know the shape is squarer but the Astra MK1 sills do not need any forcing, which would you continue with?

Cheers
Trev

Topic author
weight

Post by weight »

Suzuki one looks much better. Have you manipulated the profile again where it contacts the front. or was it ok?

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi weight, yes I needed to bend it slightly I've got a problem with this panel though, and it's the gauge of the steel that seems to be thinner than the original not sure by how much but you can feel the difference between the fingers, this worries me.

Topic author
xvillax

Post by xvillax »

i think the astra one looks ok especailly as you will relpaceing both sides more or less the full length and looks to be a much easier fit.

also if you decided to fit some sideskirts you would never see the sills?

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

Hi xvillax, you have a good point there about the side-skirts, if I ever needed to jack the car up at these points in an emergency situation, I'd be watching for the metal to bend with the Suzuki sill as it's rather thin. I'm thinking strength is more important obviously, out of interest where can you get the side-skirts from and does any one have pic's?

Topic author
xvillax

Post by xvillax »

google them or look on ebay

i must admit i would live with the asta ones even without side skirts

cheaper the mr T thats for sure think you've done a grand job so far on eliminating possible replacements top job mate.....

i need to sort out one of my rear arches too no way going to buy a complete rear quarter panel

Topic author
TrevMk2

Post by TrevMk2 »

When I went to Cleveland Panels they mentioned rear arches for the MK2 to me but you would have to check with them as he said they have to order them in, if you do ring them I'd ask what gauge steel they are first just incase it's as thin as the Suzuki sill!, their number is 01642 219200 or 01642 249815, hope this helps xvillax.

Return to “MK2 Useful Information”